• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

N00b to forum and android phones - hi all :)

Hi all - about to become an owner of htc desire (with luck it'll be here tomorrow in time for my birthday!).

I've seen a useful thread already on the desire and hope to find many more enabling me to get the most out of my first ever smartphone. Am a bit of a luddite/technophobe so go easy on me if I ask the dumbest of questions!

If anyone can link me up to some must-read threads for the desire and getting the most of android in general I'd be very grateful - did I mention I can be very lazy too ;)

Ta in advance.

Scoobs

Hi all.

Loving my new htc desire - a wonderful device :)

Quick question: All my contacts appear as SIM contacts - which means I can't add photos to them? Is there an easy way to 'convert' SIM contacts to Phone contacts thus allowing me to edit the details and add photos etc?

Apologies if there is a thread for this - I did search for one but couldn't find...

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
When you first got your phone did someone transfer your contacts into the phone for you? Or was the SIM card moved from a previous phone to the Desire?

What you may want to do is export your contacts from the SIM card and then import them into your email account (eg., Gmail). To do this would likely require an app like SIM Contacts Manager from the Android Market...

http://market.android.com/details?id=ice.andrea.contactmanager

Upvote 0
Hi Martimus - thanks for your reply. I put my old SIM (from a sony ericcson) into the desire and it imported all - am pretty sure it didn't give me a choice as to where they went :s

The 'upload' was horrid too - messed up the format of my contacts and added random numbers to them. I spent a good 30 mins redoing this to a more acceptable/aesthetic format but now it's reverted to the horrridness again!

I did a back up using lookout which I fear may have done this. Really don't want to spend another 30mins redoing this and ideally I'd like a way to get these contacts to the phone where pics can be added...

Upvote 0
Sorted it - I hope...

Got Simtocontacts app (free) and transferred all contacts to gmail account. This resulted in duplications of all contacts :s

Then got Acontacts app (free again - nice interface too, prevents accidental dialing and good layout) which allows easy upload of photos and multiple numbers (work, moby, home, email etc).

Just hope this doesn;t revert anytime soon - have rmoved 'people' app which I think may have caused original problems...

Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones