• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help navigation spontaneously switching screens

I had all kinds of issues today trying out the navi with the car dock. First it started losing GPS signal. I had to turn off then turn back on the toggle and didn't have anymore finding GPS issues. My next issue was the the screen going from Navi to my home screen. I had no idea where I was going so it was a real pain hitting the home button to bring back the navigation. I then tried using the car dock music player in the background with the navi. Worked fine for awhile but then would switch to the music screen...and finally the music screen just froze. In my opinion navigatin is a completely unusable feature at this time. No way is the navi safe to use while driving and well, if you can't do that, what's the point?

Google Maps Version 4414
System Version 1.13.604

Upvote 0
1st post here. (1st time I've had a reason to)

Same problems here.
Navigation switches back to home screen, then home screen goes to sleep, or navigation just quits sometimes, etc...VERY FRUSTRATED.
I've experienced this before and after System update "2.1-update1", and Maps update

Device: Droid X
System: 1.13.604.MB810
Google Maps: 4414

Upvote 0
EDIT: Found work around. This seems to happen only when car dock app has been loaded. I had to do a hard re-boot (remove battery while on, wait 30 seconds, replace battery) to get the bug from car dock to go away, using the navigator function after that worked with out crashing for me.

That's what I was going to suggest, because it seems to happen to more people who have the car dock, and the car dock starts the car dock app automatically. I don't have the dock and I used Maps 4414 by going straight into the Nav app last night. 1 hour with charger, 1 hour without and had no problems.

The only time I have ever gotten the turn by turn screen was if I lost GPS signal. (Driving around tall buildings or carrying the phone inside a building while in Nav mode)

Upvote 0
Quick question about the actual functionality of the nav... so does anyone know how to" detour" when in route? Similiar to how u would with a traditional gps...the other day i hit a horrible traffic jam and wanted an alternate route...couldn't find a way to quickly get the nav to reroute me...after fumbling through a few screens i pressed something and it said" finding alternate route" but it never actually found another way,and it was hard even finding the reroute function....ALSO... how do u use traffic view? It is the default color lines that trace your route right.? Green for good...red for traffic? Sometimes it works and sometimes it.is always just green despite the traffic...

Upvote 0
Quick question about the actual functionality of the nav... so does anyone know how to" detour" when in route? Similiar to how u would with a traditional gps...the other day i hit a horrible traffic jam and wanted an alternate route...couldn't find a way to quickly get the nav to reroute me...after fumbling through a few screens i pressed something and it said" finding alternate route" but it never actually found another way,and it was hard even finding the reroute function....ALSO... how do u use traffic view? It is the default color lines that trace your route right.? Green for good...red for traffic? Sometimes it works and sometimes it.is always just green despite the traffic...

when looking at the traffic layer, there is a re-route button on the lower RH side of the screen.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Worse today than I have noticed in the past. again with charger plugged in.

Nav drops out to directions screen and once dropped off maps all together. Usually nav was in the notifications tab, but once in the 43 minute trip it wasn't.

Meanwhile, DX plugged in, not iin car dock mode. Don't have car dock or any other mount.

Goggle maps with nav version 4.4.0 (# 4414). Battery was over 80% the whole time.

Really damn annoying, but what do you expect with a free app.

Upvote 0
No I did not either.

However, I used maps on a 6 hour ride this weekend and had no issues with my phone plugged in. however I was not using naviagation, just maps and My Location.

I turned on navigation once I got into Lousiville just so I wouldn't have to watch the screen. I also had it on with BT (nav awypoints through the headset FTW). But that was maybe 12 minutes with naviagation on, the rest with just maps and the screen turned off quite a few times but I wasn't watching it.

Never lost GPS signal as I was also running JustGPS to keep with with Average speed, distance and elevation (just to try it).

Did loose data band in Parts of KY though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones