• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need a new cell

Dan3131

Lurker
Nov 17, 2010
I need a new cellphone but im stock with Bell canada, There is only 2 choices of android phones right now. The samsung galaxy s or the htc desire z.

Ok i want a cell with froyo/flash ( right now the sgs doesnt have it in canada ) and i am not shure if i want to root my phone or w8 till samsung release the update. But i am not shure about the desire z to i dont really need the keyboard and i dont trust the hardware.

So sgs = super amoled, no keypad bigger screen, good cpu
but no froyo

desire z = froyo , ok screen, hardware so so, and sense ui and only a 800 cpu but its a gen2

Should i go with the desire z or the sgs

Or i should wait till the nexus s or the new dualcore /tegra cell in 2011

Personally, take this with no bias- I would go for the SGS. There are already Froyo leaks officially from US carriers so Froyo WILL be available soon for our buddies up north. I know Samsung has a bad name sometimes as it pertains to software but the hardware on these SGS's are insane.

Take my opinion for what it is, my opinion. Regardless of what you choose- it's a good choice. I've heard the Desire Z is a great phone too. SGS is a media and entertainment powerhouse. The Z with it's keyboard is great for people who text a lot.

Upvote 0
I seriously think you answered your question. Get the galaxy s - they will release the froyo update very soon. It is out for t-mobile users in the USA so it is only a matter of time.

If you want to wait and get the newest thing out there get the nexus s (but be careful in the first 3 weeks it will be a nightmare)

when something new gets released you will see bugs flying out of the damn phone and after that it will be just fine. :)

Upvote 0
"Lag" is subjective. I have a friend using an old G1 and swears that the app draw scrolling is as smooth as my cousin's Evo. If I were you, I would go into the store and look at it for yourself. Samsung added it's one task manager into the ROM, so all you do is clear the RAM once a day and it's fast as hell. If you can't be bothered to do that, just install ADW launcher and it gets rid of Touchwiz and it will be faster.

Personally, I like TWiz more than Sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones