• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New android user, a few basic/advanced questions

xenonsupra

Sep 16, 2013
Just switched from the iPhone. I've got a few questions.

Any help would be appreciated!

1. Can I disable the emergency call button on my STOCK lock screen? I keep pressing it by accident.
^SOLVED BY TURNING ON LOCKSCREEN SHORTCUTS

2. I'd like to be able to access my camera from the lock screen, do I need a 3rd party app for that?
^SOLVED BY TURNING OFF PATTERN LOCK

3. I'd like to create a tasker task that automatically changes my phone to one handed operation mode when I get in my car. The phone will pair with my car blue tooth so I was hoping to use that as a sort of if/then command. If connected to "Audi" bluetooth then switch to one handed operation and hands free mode. Same for reverting when I exit the car.

4. With my iPhone when I held the home button to activate Siri it would allow me to talk through my car bluetooth mic/speakers. How can I set my Note 3 up to do that? I activated S voice this morning but it just used my phone speaker/mic.

5. I like getting notifications/ sounds for all applications during the day. At night I would only like sounds for calls and texts, is that possible?
^SEEMS LIKE THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE, NO BIG DEAL

Thanks!!

Congrats on getting the Note 3 xenonsupra.

1 & 2: Go back to the homescreen and tap on the settings button. Then tap on Settings, Device, Lock screen and turn on Shortcuts to the lock screen. Take off everything but the camera. I'm not sure if that emergency call thing isn't something only AT&T uses though. I don't have one on my t-mobile Note 3 lock screen.

Upvote 0
Congrats on getting the Note 3 xenonsupra.

1 & 2: Go back to the homescreen and tap on the settings button. Then tap on Settings, Device, Lock screen and turn on Shortcuts to the lock screen. Take off everything but the camera. I'm not sure if that emergency call thing isn't something only AT&T uses though. I don't have one on my t-mobile Note 3 lock screen.

I do not see that option. Here is a screenshot of my lock screen settings.

dkHkrRTl.png

Upvote 0
The lock screen apps are blocked with the pattern unlock it seems, one of the nice features about Sense was no pattern to unlock to the camera (pattern to get to the gallery after though).

Every Android I've seen has the emergency call option on the lock screen, and I haven't seen an option to disable it so think it is stuck there to not have to unlock the phone.

Upvote 0

Any help would be appreciated!

1. Can I disable the emergency call button on my lock screen? I keep pressing it by accident.

2. I'd like to be able to access my camera from the lock screen, do I need a 3rd party app for that?

3. I'd like to create a tasker task that automatically changes my phone to one handed operation mode when I get in my car. The phone will pair with my car blue tooth so I was hoping to use that as a sort of if/then command. If connected to "Audi" bluetooth then switch to one handed operation and hands free mode. Same for reverting when I exit the car.

4. With my iPhone when I held the home button to activate Siri it would allow me to talk through my car bluetooth mic/speakers. How can I set my Note 3 up to do that? I activated S voice this morning but it just used my phone speaker/mic.

5. I like getting notifications/ sounds for all applications during the day. At night I would only like sounds for calls and texts, is that possible?

Thanks!!

I believe go locker would do these things, its free in the play store

Upvote 0

Thanks!!

Can be done under the Blocking Mode on the Device tab. You can set it on and off manually or set a recurring time and can create an allowed list. Can block calls, notifications, alarm and timer and LED separately.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I believe go locker would do these things, its free in the play store

I tried locker and yea it does remove the emergency call button but I was hoping there was a way to disable it on the stock lock screen

Can be done under the Blocking Mode on the Device tab. You can set it on and off manually or set a recurring time and can create an allowed list. Can block calls, notifications, alarm and timer and LED separately.

Let me rephrase. I'd like to leave notifications on for texting only but not other apps. I don't mind getting woken by an important text but I dont want a loud sound everytime a friend posts a pic to facebook, etc. I do want both on during the day...As far as I can see that isn't possible in blocking mode.

Upvote 0
ve notifications on for texting only but not other apps. I don't mind getting woken by an important text but I dont want a loud sound everytime a friend posts a pic to facebook, etc. I do want both on during the day...As far as I can see that isn't possible in blocking mode.

I came from the Galaxy Nexus, on which I ran a custom rom called Sourcery (sic). I'm not sure if it was the ROM or the phone, but under volume settings there was an option called "Quiet Hours". It was awesome. I haven't found anything built into the N3 that provides the same functionality.

So I went to the Play Store. I found Silent Hours (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silenthoursnew&hl=en). It does a great job and has a few options my GNex didn't offer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0

SNIP

^SEEMS LIKE THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE, NO BIG DEAL

Thanks!!

Change the Notification Sound for Gmail to silent. Open Gmail, tap on settings, Tap on your account, Tap on Inbox sound & Vibrate then tap on Sound and change to Silent. That's at the top of the sound list somewhere. It looks cumbersome all typed out like this but it's really very fast once you do it a couple of times.

Upvote 0
Change the Notification Sound for Gmail to silent. Open Gmail, tap on settings, Tap on your account, Tap on Inbox sound & Vibrate then tap on Sound and change to Silent. That's at the top of the sound list somewhere. It looks cumbersome all typed out like this but it's really very fast once you do it a couple of times.

Do you really do that every night? Then reverse it each morning? The app I linked to above is tailor made for you. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

Upvote 0
I came from the Galaxy Nexus, on which I ran a custom rom called Sourcery (sic). I'm not sure if it was the ROM or the phone, but under volume settings there was an option called "Quiet Hours". It was awesome. I haven't found anything built into the N3 that provides the same functionality.

So I went to the Play Store. I found Silent Hours (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silenthoursnew&hl=en). It does a great job and has a few options my GNex didn't offer.

Hope this helps.

Do you really do that every night? Then reverse it each morning? The app I linked to above is tailor made for you. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

How is "quiet hours" any different from blocking mode?

Upvote 0
I've not used blocking, but with this app, your email, text, calls and other notifications still come in, but between the hours of 9p and 7a (for example) they don't make any sound or vibration. Set it up once and it works on your schedule till you tell it to stop.

Thanks for clarifying. That sounds exactly like the stock blocking mode. My question was how do I allow phone calls/ texts but disable 3rd party app notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones