• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android user experience, or (Help me make the jump from Android?)

I have had my HTC Sensation XE for about six weeks now and it pretty much updated to ICS out of the box, so I have no prior experience of older Android versions.

I felt prompted to write this as I'm probably typical of someone who has essentially used Nokia phones almost exclusively before moving into the Android arena and its touch screen mode of operation. This has certainly been a learning curve for me and not without much frustration and to a certain extent regret for having gone down this route.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not writing off Android as something which should only be attempted to be used by enthusiasts and techno geeks, but these devices are actually quite powerful portable computers and this comes with all the potential for technical and operational glitches just like any other computer, and in the first six weeks I have certainly had quite a few minor gremlins which were not insurmountable but just rather annoying and disappointing.

My son recently asked me what I thought of the new HTC One V and I said it looks like a great up to date slightly cheaper smartphone, but I told him not to go near it, purely for the reason that the battery was not removable. My main reason for advising this was the fact that this has been the only means I have had to correct any problems with my Sensation which more often than not has refused to ultimately respond to anything other than this "last resort" measure. The Android version of control-alt-del. How do people manage without a removable battery, let alone the advantages it has in addressing the vast power reserve many of these devices need, but more to the point, why should I have to jump through these crude hoops just to keep my phone operating smoothly.

A problem from the "so-called" terrible Symbian system on my last few Nokia offerings, would very very rarely need addressing by the battery removal technique, and yet here I am only six weeks into my first Android and I'm well practiced in this operation.

There are some good things though. As a portable source of information either via the internet or perhaps with a mapping app, this kind of device is a delight to use, and the screen, (apart from in direct sunlight), and it's associated swipe gestures make for a vastly improved user experience compared to technologies of past years. We no longer really need to carry a separate music player, camera for the odd snap and even video is very acceptable, but at the end of the day, for me anyway, the touch screen is also its Achilles heal.

I do hanker, even after such a short time, for a real keypad, and only the simpler numeric style keypad at that. I now send very few text & email messages from my phone because I haven't the time or inclination to keep correcting the constant mistakes. The voice recognition is black magic vodoo and does work fantastically well, but adjustments still have to be made, and the system does not make it easy. A device like the Blackberry optical trackpad to move the cursor directly where you need it would be a godsend. Even just a quick two or three word response as I walk down the street has become almost impossible, whereas before with one of the Nokias, an answer could be sent in a trice.

This could easily be the moans and grumblings of someone who is well on the wrong side of forty and is not entirely conversant with the Android way yet, but even my just out of their teens sons begrudgingly admit that a real set of buttons under the thumbs would be a welcome pleasure. Many of you will probably say go and use an iPhone, (probably heresy in these parts), which I perceive of as being a reliable phone, or just go back to a Nokia.

I personally feel that the progress of technology should bring with it greater user satisfaction and better reliability, but in the instance of my Sensation XE, it certainly isn't reliable and the user satisfaction is fragmented and definitely does not apply to the devices core use of making phone calls and sending messages. I'm rummaging in the drawer for my E75 at this very moment, and come to think of it, even the old Psion is becoming a rather attractive prospect.

(Stands back to take cover and await incoming flack)!

Regards

Reactions: buggywhip
For keyboards/keypads, remember that there are alternatives available on the market (sorry, "Play Store" :(). You can even get some that do a T9 keypad if you prefer (though I thought the HTC keyboard had that as an option? Long time since I had one, so may be wrong). Not physical, of course, but may be something that works better for you.

I've not used a HTC One series, but there's generally some key combination that does a similar job to a battery pull (i.e. more a "press the power button for 10 seconds" than "ctrl-alt-del"). Obviously cannot be as foolproof, but it will be there - just can't recall what it is.

I feel for you on the trackpad - my old HTC Desire has one, but they seem to be out of fashion! I guess I'll have to buy a bigger screen next time to make up for the lack of one (i.e. if I have to place cursors exactly by touch).

Have you visited the Sensation XE forum here? There should be people there who can advise you on how to avoid the little niggles you refer to, and provide hints to improve the experience.

And no, you should get no flack for saying any of this - your experience is valid as anyone else's, and the point of the forum is to discuss and help each other.

And there's nothing wrong with being the a long way the far side of 40 - that would make 2 of us ;)

Upvote 0
Android is still a relatively new system still. I had a Blackberry with a Trackpad and I LOVED it. It was a Curve. It had the Keyboard and everything and I was pretty used to it and pretty good with it. Then I switched to the EVO. The touch screen took some getting used to. I had a tendency to tap the screen to hard. I hated typing on it when I first got it just for the fact that I could not feel the keys being pressed. I did however get used to it. As far as battery pulls yes I have had to do a few. I have had to do less and less as I used my phone because I was learning what it can handle and what it can't. Since my first month with the phone I have really learned how to use the phone. I don't think I could use another type of device now that I have grown accustomed to how this one works. Yes there are still things that need to be ironed out and things that could be smoother or even better. I feel that they are getting there with Android. Things may not be 100% to my pleasing but it's a system that has really come a long way in a short time. Blackberrys, Nokia's, and other systems have been out longer and have had time to perfect their quirks. Even as much as I loved my Blackberry it was not with out issues. I had to do battery pulls on it every now and then. And talk about taking forever to boot up I mean that was crazy. I do believe all your points are valid points and I commend you on the willingness to say how you feel. Will you catch flack? Well not from any of the Resident Users that I know including myself. You feel how you feel no one can change that. Welcome to the forums and If we can help make your android experience better please allow us that opportunity. As Hadron has stated check out the forum for your device. There are some very knowledgeable people in these forums who can help you with a good majority of your issues. If you can't get the answer there find someone in green or red and ask them If they don't have the answer they will help you find it.

Upvote 0
I very much understand where you are coming from having used more phones in my seven years here than most will in a lifetime. The move to Android followed by lack of physical keys and now with the Xperia S no removable battery can be a bit of a shock to the system. In most cases manufacturers have a way around this such as our holding the volume and powers keys down and this does seem to work 100% of time in the same way as a battery cycle will. Whilst you may not have one of our phones I do wish you all the best with your Android experience and I also advise having a thumb through the section here specific to your phone as this site is full of helpful and knowledgeable folk willing to offer their wisdom.

Upvote 0
Sorry to be corrective. A battery pull is the android equivalent of a battery pull on a,laptop or pulling the power cable out of a desktop.

Certainly on HTC phones, there IS a ctrl, alt del key configuration that reboots the device, even if the OS is frozen.

On the desire its trackpad, vol down and power. One series is long hold power I believe. Not sure on sensation

That said, would still want a removable battery.

Upvote 0
Many thanks to all of you for your warm words of advice and encouragement. We do become married to our personal devices, the phone more than others, but of course things move on, the wheel is re-invented again and once more we have to learn new and sometimes better ways of performing a familiar task.

I take your points that Android is fairly young and therefore in its' early days of development, so hopefully reliability and usability will improve over time, but of course this is hampered somewhat by the fact that it has to work on many different manufacturers products, unlike the ubiquitous iPhone and its' related devices which have their software finely tuned to one set of hardware, and of course Nokia before it.

Regarding the Sensation XE keyboard, there appears to be no T9 version built in, but it does have predictive text and thus provides several suggestions for what it thinks you are typing, so perhaps a little more determined practice on my part is needed to improve my keyboard skills.

Many thanks again and I shall certainly be lurking on these forums no doubt picking up some golden nuggets of information on the way. I suppose the next test of my technical intransigence will be the move from Windows 7 to 8, but that's another migraine brewing for the future!

Upvote 0
I came from Blackberry to Android, and although I do not regret the switch at all (that OS has gone down hill far too much for me). I do miss the physical keyboard and the ability to send messages quickly without mistake.

What's helped me is the Swype keyboard found: Swype | Text Input for Screens

Though autocorrect sometimes has me to redo a word twice or type it out it's much better than trying to type all the words correctly. Much faster option swiping from letter to letter of the word. It's a good alternative, that I had to go through multiple alternatives before I found it. So perhaps it can help you as well.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I've just installed the Swype keyboard and after a few attempts it looks quite promising and gives the impression of being more forgiving than the standard HTC keyboard. Incidentally, I also tried out the voice recognition facility in the app, but it's not as accurate as the Google powered version.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will keep persevering with Swype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones