• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Epic Phone... Not so happy :(

beachbritt

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
I just purchased an Epic less than 2 hours ago-I thought we went over everything in the store but as I am playing with it now I am finding things I do not like. I pulled up You Tube to watch a video and it is extremely grainy; I could watch better videos on my Blackberry! One of the main reasons I got the phone was so I coud view flash sites and that is not so great either. Any suggestions?

If one of the main reasons you got an epic was to view flash websites then you didn't do your homework very well. Flash won't work very well at all until they release the 2.2 update which is being discussed in the big thread in the main discussion forum. It's kind of a sore spot among epic owners...

Upvote 0
I also bought a new Epic just last week. As previously mentioned, most YouTube videos will work well if you press the MENU key and choose to view in high quality. This isn't the default setting, nor does there seem to be a way to make it the default. I have noticed, however, that HQ doesn't seem to work well on 3G. It's beautiful on 4G and WiFi. I made an iPhone owner jealous. :)

Flash videos are a different story. I've had hit-and-miss success with the Skyfire browser. You can download it in the Market for free. It will recognize and play some Flash videos, but not all.

Samsung has been notoriously slow to release new updates for their phones. I suffered through it with the Moment, and they haven't gotten much better on the Epic. I bought the Epic because it had features I wanted in a phone that the HTC models lack, but if there was a completely comparable phone to the Epic, that wasn't Samsung, I would have put my money there.

Upvote 0
Change it to HIGH QUALITY!

when playing YouTube videos on a phone it will always show the lowest quality available for faster loading but you can change it to HIGH QUALITY.

Thanks, that does work! I was wondering why some Youtube videos looked so poor but I don't watch them so often so it didn't bother me too much. Glad to know it will improve if we EVER get 2.2!

Jamie

Upvote 0
Thanks, that does work! I was wondering why some Youtube videos looked so poor but I don't watch them so often so it didn't bother me too much. Glad to know it will improve if we EVER get 2.2!

Jamie

If it's too annoying to hit menu and manually switch it everytime you can just install the APK so it has an HQ icon for easy toggling.

Taken from(been using it on epic since launch): EVO YouTube apk (works on Droid, Nexus and Incredible) - Android Forums

snap20110213_141018.png

Attachments

• YouTube.apk
    853.5 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones