• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new fresh is awful!!!!!!!

wake69 wifi is the only way for me to go since my usb charging port is broken. However I was able to download the whole 177mb through wifi and install the latest fresh evo.

Right now my phone screen looks likethis
about.png

Do I need a different kernel....Please explain how I update the kernel....the link in your profile went to a blank page. Thanks.

Also, Is there any way I can change the lock screen for the evo?

Upvote 0
to change the kernel, use something like netarchy and put the .zip on your sd card. go to rom manager and go into recovery mode. when it reboots use your volume keys to go up and down and you have to install from zip or something like that and then locate on zip. use the power button to select. then it installs the kernel !

Upvote 0
wake69 wifi is the only way for me to go since my usb charging port is broken. However I was able to download the whole 177mb through wifi and install the latest fresh evo.

[pic snipped]

Do I need a different kernel....Please explain how I update the kernel....the link in your profile went to a blank page. Thanks.

You don't *need* a different kernel, but there can be noticeable benefits to using one. Some ROMs come with a great kernel as is. They use different strategies to obtain a target optimization, sometimes speed, sometimes battery life, often both. Many of them are overclockable, but you'll need to use other tools such as Overclock Widget or SetCPU to access that ability.

To install, download one and place it in the root folder of your SD card. Boot into recovery. You don't need a full wipe/reset, but you usually want to wipe your cache and Dalvik. Then flash the kernel the same way you would flash a ROM and reboot. Good luck.

Upvote 0

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies-extras.html

check out widget locker and lock bot in the market

Upvote 0
WOW...so I actually updated Thursday to these newest versions of Fresh and Netarchy and have some crazy issues going on.

1. Signal... my time without signal has consistently been 0% for two months...it's now ranging from 9-14%

2. Odd issue...but the stock internet app loses my set home page...and keeps changing back to sprint vision

3. Something is using GPS randomly, even when GPS is turned off

on the plus side my pictures seem to be coming out better...even low light pics

Battery life was absolutely awful Friday and Saturday but seems to have improved today.

I think that is all I have noticed thusfar. I am going to keep toying with it until tomorrow and then start looking at other kernels..may even go back to my Nandroid of Fresh 3.3.01

Upvote 0
They seem to be working themselves out....the internet issue seems to be gone and the home page I saved works now ...updated my prl and data profile again and the time without signal issue is gone (for now) and I think I figured out what was using gps...it was quite possibly snostorm...it was just doing it much more frequently than what I had set

and current charge is at 51% 22 hrs since plugged in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones