• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New guy with a couple issues. freezing and lock ups.

Hello, just got my phone yesterday and I am having a couple issues. Seems it is freezing up often. trying to adjust settings and I keep getting the dialoge that the phone is unresponsive and an option to wait or force close.

Also the screen will go black and not come back on no matter what I do. I have to remove the battery to get it to work again.

I am new to android so I am still learning how to use it but these seem more like problems and not user error.

Also when I have WiFi enabled and set up for my router I cant get any downloads to work, this includes browser windows, market and such. I would like to get this working as Cricket has a 1gig limit.

Phone is using 2.1.1 firmware.
[edit]Problem solved[edit]

Hello and welcome to the Huawei Ascend section of phandroid.

Unfortunately not all ascends are the same and yours seems pretty bad off out of the box.

I need to know a few things before telling you to return it for a replacement though.

1. Most important, what have you downloaded and where did you get it? "Battery savers" are honestly BS and cause all sorts of issues and pirated (applanet, blapk market, 4 shared) apps have a good chance of being malicious.

2. Have you ever overheated/dropped or wet the phone.

The chances are still good you simply got a faulted phone. I would personally remove all apps, save any pics taken to my PC and perform a factory reset/data wipe and demand a brand new (not refurbished) phone from cricket. Be sure its new. They are known to give refurbished phones as replacements.

Once you have everything squared away poke around the forum a bit. Check the stickied post at the "all things root" area for a bunch of kick ass stuff.

Welcome to phan! A d enjoy the huawei assend!

Reactions: Diablo2k
Upvote 0
Factory reset seems to have fixed the issues so far.

I believe the problems started when I inserted a MicroSd card into the phone. Could be coinsidence as it was early after getting the phone. there was no apps installed. all that had been done was to adjust a few settings, nothing that should cause problems however.

Another quick quistion, is the charge port a mini or micro USB port?

Upvote 0
Factory reset seems to have fixed the issues so far.

I believe the problems started when I inserted a MicroSd card into the phone. Could be coinsidence as it was early after getting the phone. there was no apps installed. all that had been done was to adjust a few settings, nothing that should cause problems however.

Another quick quistion, is the charge port a mini or micro USB port?
Micro usb

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help so far.

Now I am just wondering about the Wifi issue. Whenever I have WiFi enabled I can't connect to anything. I am connected to my homes router. I dont know if I am just misunderstanding what its used for or if theres an issue or not. When I disable WiFi I can connect just fine.

I have been looking for some cool wallpapers but everything I find is the wrong size and needs cropped, then it is blown up and get pixilated. is there anywhere I can get some good properly sized wallpapers?
What is the proper size that I need?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help so far.

Now I am just wondering about the Wifi issue. Whenever I have WiFi enabled I can't connect to anything. I am connected to my homes router. I dont know if I am just misunderstanding what its used for or if theres an issue or not. When I disable WiFi I can connect just fine.

I have been looking for some cool wallpapers but everything I find is the wrong size and needs cropped, then it is blown up and get pixilated. is there anywhere I can get some good properly sized wallpapers?
What is the proper size that I need?

Did you go to SETTINGS>WIRELESS & NETWORKS>WI-FI SETTINGS;then press MENU>turn on Wi-Fi, press MENU to select which WI-FI signal to connect to?

BTW,while @ work,I also have to use an app to connect to their WI-FI called XPRESS CONNECT.

As for wallpapers,check out ZEDGE.

Upvote 0
Did you go to SETTINGS>WIRELESS & NETWORKS>WI-FI SETTINGS;then press MENU>turn on Wi-Fi, press MENU to select which WI-FI signal to connect to?

BTW,while @ work,I also have to use an app to connect to their WI-FI called XPRESS CONNECT.

As for wallpapers,check out ZEDGE.
Yes I did that, but when I did I cant connect to anything.

thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help w/the WI-FI.
We've had lots of various posts regarding WI-FI here,hopefully your problem can be solved by digging into the older posts or maybe comb the ANDROID MARKET for an app that can help.
I feel so stupid, I hadn't tried it out sense I did a factory reset, seems to be working now. dont know why the phone was messed up when I got it, but everything seems to be working fine now.

as for wallpapers I got some 320x480 pics but those are stretched out as well. Guess I will just stick to the stock ones for now. anyone know what the resolution is on the stock wallpapers, I know its alot bigger then the screen size so it will fit the screen display properly.

Upvote 0
I feel so stupid, I hadn't tried it out sense I did a factory reset, seems to be working now. dont know why the phone was messed up when I got it, but everything seems to be working fine now.

as for wallpapers I got some 320x480 pics but those are stretched out as well. Guess I will just stick to the stock ones for now. anyone know what the resolution is on the stock wallpapers, I know its alot bigger then the screen size so it will fit the screen display properly.

Was gonna suggest a factory reset as a last resort,figured it was listed as a WI-FI cure in a previous post.I don't like to suggest such drastic measures unless all else fails & are sure everything is backed up prior to a reset.

Glad you got WI-FI working again.

Upvote 0

The wallpaper issue is due to the odd 3x3 grid design of the stock home launcher. Download Go launcher ex, Launcher pro, or another home replacement app to solve that problem.

Upvote 0
The wallpaper issue is due to the odd 3x3 grid design of the stock home launcher. Download Go launcher ex, Launcher pro, or another home replacement app to solve that problem.

Regarding the wallpaper issue, 640x480 is the size you'll want to get to properly fit on the Ascend without any aspect ratio (stretching) issues.
I may have found a workaround for using the stock loader and still get quality wallpapers. I set the wallpaper with Go Launcher Ex then switch back to the stock launcher, the wallpaper stayed in place and is not all messed up from being resized. only thing is it only scrolls side to side, not up and down, but I only use the middle 3 screens anyway.

Upvote 0
I may have found a workaround for using the stock loader and still get quality wallpapers. I set the wallpaper with Go Launcher Ex then switch back to the stock launcher, the wallpaper stayed in place and is not all messed up from being resized. only thing is it only scrolls side to side, not up and down, but I only use the middle 3 screens anyway.
But why would anyone want to use the stock launcher when Go Launcher (or any other launcher, really) is so much better?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones