• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New HD video shot with DX, watch at 720p

Let see, a million or so camera owners who spend $500-$1000 for lens/cameras with the widest aperture they can get their hands on. Point-n-shoot cameras like the LX3/DLUX4, CanonS90 sell because they shoot at f/2.0 and only for those reasons. People pay the $200 premium over regular point-n-shoots.
The iPhone can shoot as low as f/2.4 on a cell phone. I spend up to $1200 on a lens (Nokton) because it can go as low as f/1.0. I never, ever, never,ever use a flash. The difference between a f/3.5 and a f/2.4 lens is can be tangible be calculated in worth as much as $200.

Edit: I realize I got off on tangent. The Droid X does have a better camera than the DINC. So that would be an upgrade for me in that area.

So... all the owners of a S90 buy it because of the f/2.0? The vast majority of Americans, I'm sure, doesn't even know what that is. lol If they're buying a point-and-shoot, they're not consumed by technical details such as that. They just want a simpler camera that takes great photos.

Besides photographers and advanced amateurs... most people will use flash in everyday situations.

Upvote 0
So... all the owners of a S90 buy it because of the f/2.0?

Yes. They're technically savvy consumers. The S90 has less features than the other Canon SD lines. E.G. No 720p HD recording,it cost $100-150 more, and has less megapixels (10 vs 12-14MP) than the other consumer Canon line like a SD 980IS. They only difference is the optics. They want the near quality of a dslr in a pocketable format. The LX3 is a big hit seller for Panasonic and had a 6-9 month wait. Again, because of the optics.

The uninformed will go to Best Buy and see another Canon Camera at $200 that ha 14MP, shoots HD video and they look at the S90 which doesn't have all those "buzzwords" at $400. Most consumers will pick the $200, higher megapixel camera. The intelligent, well informed consumer, who appreciates the optics will pay the $200 premium. So, yes, to answer your question, people who buy the s90, buy it for the f/2.0 lens.

The Gizmodo reviewer knew what she was getting when she bought a Canon S90 at $400 versus something like a Canon SD780 (which sells for $179 , has 12mp, and can shoot fabulous 720P HD video). You have to be technically savvy to make that purchase decision that most people don't appreciate. The difference is shooting at night without a flash.

As for someone mentioning earlier, the Droid X's settings can be changed.. Answer is no. Optics rule over software. A lower quality lens will always give lower quality result. a f/2.4 lens will always, in every situation, perform better in low-light than a f/3.5. It is just physics. Jacking up the ISO will only give lots of noise; especially with these teeeny weeny phone sensors.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert, but this rendition of the image looks a lot like the results of what iMovie calls Image Stabilization. ie, it's not shaky, but rather it looks like a rubber band stretching and catching up.

I think the image quality per se is quite fine for a PHONE. It's not a dedicated camcorder now is it? It'll be plenty good for a random 6 o'clock news footage of some newsworthy beating or car crash or whatever.

So, IS software glitch anybody?

Upvote 0
I was expecting the HDMI to output whatever is on the phone to the TV. E.G. when I play youtube. HTC does this. I was expecting to replace my existing car's navigation with Google Maps Navigation by outputting the phone's screen to my car. The Incredible's TV-OUT does this. EVO does this.

Gizmodo's camera comparison shows it to be awful. I was expecting the videos to be better.

nightphotos.jpg

A lot of people around here really don't know much about technology or how it works. It's kind of strange to me.

HDMI does not work this way. I'll leave it at that because I really don't feel like educating you on exactly how HDMI works. if you really cared you would have read up on it and would know this already.

I will suggest you take a gander about HDMI, DRM. HDCP. Read up on it so you can understand what you are talking about.

Upvote 0
A lot of people around here really don't know much about technology or how it works. It's kind of strange to me.

HDMI does not work this way. I'll leave it at that because I really don't feel like educating you on exactly how HDMI works. if you really cared you would have read up on it and would know this already.

I will suggest you take a gander about HDMI, DRM. HDCP. Read up on it so you can understand what you are talking about.

I know how HDMI works and the DRM involved in most implementations. However, you can have HDMI implemented like a DVI interface w/out the DRM. Some computers and laptops now use HDMI output in place of DVI.

Basically, I want a mirror of my phone and use HDMI as just the display cable. Something like this:

YouTube - Galaxy S TV Out function Review

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Wait, was there a thread discussing the usability of the Droid X's HDMI?

I was hoping to just be able to output video and maybe pictures while I was on a trip. For instance when Netflix releases an Android instant watch app or even that Blockbuster app, I would be able to output the video to a TV screen in 720p via HDMI cable.

What does the Incredible have that is comparable to this? Is it released yet?

If the Droid X cant output video via HDMI, what good is the HDMI output on it?

Upvote 0
Wait, was there a thread discussing the usability of the Droid X's HDMI?

I was hoping to just be able to output video and maybe pictures while I was on a trip. For instance when Netflix releases an Android instant watch app or even that Blockbuster app, I would be able to output the video to a TV screen in 720p via HDMI cable.
If the Droid X cant output video via HDMI, what good is the HDMI output on it?

Apparently, the HDMI out only works with the Photo/Movie Gallery app. Only user-created content or whatever you can get the gallery app to play. Youtube and Blockbuster app are restricted due to DRM.

I just ordered the micro-usb tv-out cable for my Incredible. $30. A bit pricey but I need it. They just started shipping and I'll get it in 3 days. It is not HD but it is tv-out.

Reactions: HalfDroid
Upvote 0
I know how HDMI works and the DRM involved in most implementations. However, you can have HDMI implemented like a DVI interface w/out the DRM. Some computers and laptops now use HDMI output in place of DVI.

Basically, I want a mirror of my phone and use HDMI as just the display cable. Something like this:

YouTube - Galaxy S TV Out function Review
wait a minute. his outputting a 720p video using an RCA adapter :thinking:
that's not HD then :p
but seeing ur phone on a big screen is cool though

Upvote 0
I was expecting the HDMI to output whatever is on the phone to the TV. E.G. when I play youtube. HTC does this. I was expecting to replace my existing car's navigation with Google Maps Navigation by outputting the phone's screen to my car. The Incredible's TV-OUT does this. EVO does this.

Gizmodo's camera comparison shows it to be awful. I was expecting the videos to be better.

nightphotos.jpg

All 3 pictures win, because of the subject, wow she is beautiful.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
If it doesn't output whatever is on the phone's screen, the HDMI is useless to me. The Google Nav is only one example where I would use HDMI. Someone may want to play SNESOID or a MAME game emulator on their big screen. If it can't do that, HDMI is a useless feature.

The Evo is the same way. I suggest you read up on HDCP.

Upvote 0
Here's a stupid question: Is the HDMI port on the Droid X HDCP compliant or not? Because if it is, then content restriction makes no sense as it is protected from source to destination. If the restrictions are in place because HDMI out on the phone does not support HDCP then whoever came up with the idea to add HDMI without HDCP is seriously stupid..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones