• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Orange ROM accepting unlock code

DevKar22

Nov 11, 2009
Hi,

With the earlier Orange ROM , even if we enter the unlock code, the hero shows a screen with message "unlocking " and this screen remain for ever.

Anyone has idea if this issue is fixed with new orange ROM released in feb 2010.
(i.e the code should unlock the mobile without any issue)

From another thread:
Unfortunately, it seems that the HTC Hero on Orange, UK is one particular
handset which has been subject to an arrangement between HTC and Orange
whereby the default unlock codes have all been changed and then the correct
codes batched to Orange so that they can retain exclusive control of the codes.
The codes were either reprogrammed at Orange after despatch or more likely
at HTC before despatch. Either way, the default codes do not work.

All other online suppliers of unlock codes will source from the same place so you
will be wasting your time with most other suppliers too.

Your best option would be to source the code from Orange.

In this case, how can a new ROM fix what isn't actually an issue, but is an Orange business practice?

Upvote 0
@lekky
AFAIK that info from another thread is not correct. Users have reported that even numbers supplied by Orange could not unlock their own phones. One or two I have read suggested that they were supplied by Orange with the same number as from an online source.

from what I understand this was a bug in the ROM which appears to have now been corrected. One person reported that after flashing the new ROM he was able to successfully use the unlock code he had been given that did not work with the old ROM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones