• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My wife and I were getting ready to send our daughter off to camp for the first time... So of course, she needed a phone for us to stay in touch with her. We went down to the AT&T store to add her on our plan, only to find that we were eligible for upgrades. It worked out great that we got new phones, and added a third line for less than we were already paying. My wife got the s5, and I got the s5 active... And our daughter got my old HTC one x.

Having been with HTC phones for the last several years (mytouch 3g, mytouch 4g, HTC one s, and the one x), it been a very pleasant switch to the Samsung line. This phone is leaps and bounds better than the HTC flagship of last year. The faster processor makes this thing an absolute speed demon. I'm amazed with how quickly it runs through programs. . The screen is nothing short of brilliant. . Batter life on this thing is a dream. I went to work one day, and when I came home 14 hours later, I still hat 79%. And who doesn't love the water resistant capabilities of these devices?!

My wife picked up an otterbox defender for hers right there in the store. After a couple weeks of hunting for a decent case for my active version, I ended up going with the unicorn Beetle from supcase. I must say... Very very nice case. I've always had otterbox defender cases on my smartphones... All the way back to my original iPhone. They're worth their extra hefty weight in gold. The supcase is every bit as protective as the otterbox. It fits perfectly, feels solid, and the best part... It's half the cost of the otterbox!

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience so far with these amazing phones.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones