• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New S4 user - issues?

Mrbez

Lurker
Aug 11, 2013
Hi guys,

I got a new S4 yesterday, as I fancied a change and will be giving my iPhone 5 to my father.

Initially, I am very pleased with the phone, it will take some getting used to.

However, this morning I now have 40% battery left, with 2hours 20mins usage on the battery, 74% of this is from the screen.

I've only been using it for browsing on chrome and texting on WhatsApp...

Surely this isn't normal?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums, Mrbez!
You'll start to learn where your battery life takes a big hit and it's most definitely that (humongous, gorgeous) screen. ;)
Trying to set it as low in brightness as bearable really helps. Also, disabling a lot of Samsung built in settings like eye tracking and what not can help.
If you can kill the entire battery and post a screenshot of your usage, we can give you a bunch more help!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I'll reply in around 30 minutes once it's fully drained, ha.

I have the screen on the lowest setting possible, and everything else is turned off.

I'll read the threads that you just posted, but if this is something that can't be fixed, I think it's going to have to go back.

Upvote 0
In one of those threads there was a theory that the 4.2 update required some sort of processing, or something. That the problem would eventually disappear. I noticed last night that Google Services was not my top use, or even one of the top five uses, so there apparently is something to that theory because I have not received any new updates.

To the OP, just leave the screen brightness on automatic. And give the battery time. I've never found that batteries last long on brand new devices.

Upvote 0
BTW, I should add that yesterday I drove to a park for a family event. I think after arriving there I was at about 95% battery, because I had the phone plugged in on the way there. I used the phone for a couple two three calls while at the park, and looking at some emails. Then I drove home, using Navigation with the screen on and music playing (through a 3.5 plug). I'd forgotten to plug the power in though. Even with the screen on most of that 30 minute trip, and using the phone for my normal uses the rest of the day, I still had over 70% power when I went to bed.

Upvote 0
So the battery does take time to break in? I had the first s4 for not even 48 hours and I had to charge it 4-5 times through the day. I charged it to 99%, drove for about 2 hrs, one text convo going, listening to music, and screen on auto, and when i got home it was about 60-70% battery life left. kind of wierd huh?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones