• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new TB owner, what do I "need"?

Hello all! This is my first smartphone, so I am feeling very overwhelmed. I just got it yesterday afternoon, and love it. But. What things do I need to do/download for basic use? Example, I just learned today I need a file explorer, and I really don't know what that is (i downloaded a ringtone but couldn't find it and still don't know how to move it, which is how I learned about a file explorer).

So, any suggestions? I need to tackle music at some point, keyboard, just so many things! Lol So where is the best place to start? I started going through the manual last night, 378 pgs will take a little while.

Thanks in advance,

Janet

Hello all! This is my first smartphone, so I am feeling very overwhelmed. I just got it yesterday afternoon, and love it. But. What things do I need to do/download for basic use? Example, I just learned today I need a file explorer, and I really don't know what that is (i downloaded a ringtone but couldn't find it and still don't know how to move it, which is how I learned about a file explorer).

So, any suggestions? I need to tackle music at some point, keyboard, just so many things! Lol So where is the best place to start? I started going through the manual last night, 378 pgs will take a little while.

Thanks in advance,

Janet

An outlet...lol, to plug that thing in because its a beast on battery drain! Honestly u have one of the best phones on the market right this second. It will take some getting used to. A good place to start is a good protective case, a screen protector so u dont scratch it up, and a few hours to poke around on the forums learning some tricks and picking up some good info. Your in the best forum on the web, just go to the search bar, and search away for all that interests you concerning the phone. Good luck, and welcome to the Forums.

Upvote 0
Astro File Manager is a good place to start. You can search files by name, move them to different folders, etc. When you download ringtones, they don't always go where you want them. They'll usually be in the download folder of you SD card. You can move it from there to your ringtones folder in Astro.

For my media, I have a folder on my SD card titled "Media." Inside of that folder, I have a folder for pictures, ringtones and music.

Also, there are some free apps in the market for ringtone downloads. Zedge is a good one, and Ringdroid allows you to clip ringtones from music already on your phone.

Take a look at http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/301064-must-have-apps-thunderbolt.html for an idea of some good apps to start off with. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks! I have been reading a ton today. It leads to more and more questions, :) but that's ok!

I have been using it since about 6am, and it's just about dead, so for my first day, I am pretty happy, as I normally would never be on my phone that much, downloading apps, etc etc.

Another question, where, besides a forum like this, where would I get all this information? I have been searching the manual, and so much is not in there that I have read on here. (ie like needing to DL a file explorer).

Upvote 0
Congratulations on your new (awesome) phone!

Just play around with the phone and snoop in the forums (especially the "Tips and Tricks" threads).

If you get stuck in figuring something out, ask the great people on this forum.

Another good piece of advice, get used to pressing "Menu" while in menus to access more options. Also, try to long-press everything (press on the touchscreen and hold). Just by doing those two things, you'll learn a lot about what the phone can do :)

Upvote 0
Thanks! I have been reading a ton today. It leads to more and more questions, :) but that's ok!

I have been using it since about 6am, and it's just about dead, so for my first day, I am pretty happy, as I normally would never be on my phone that much, downloading apps, etc etc.

Another question, where, besides a forum like this, where would I get all this information? I have been searching the manual, and so much is not in there that I have read on here. (ie like needing to DL a file explorer).

The phone is still really new so I haven't seen anything yet, but usually some kind person will end up posting a wiki/bible/how-to about the phone.

Upvote 0
Definitely try to get through as much of the manual as possible. There are so many capabilities and functions that often get overlooked by just visiting forums and reading articles. Some of the useful stuff doesn't garner much attention but is still very useful. It took me three days to figure out the difference between a shortcut and a widget. The manual explains it all. Then come back and start finding apps, widgets, tips and tricks to make your device your own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones