• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android and very Confused

Cfs123

Dec 17, 2012
Hi All,

Im new to this forum and joined because I simply cannot for the life of me find an answer.

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer on an Optimus V for the past two years. I like the service but am in the market for a new phone. I was thinking if going with the Samsung Galaxy s2 but then t he other day in Walmart I caught wind of Walmart's Tmobile Glaxy s2. I was thinking that this phone may serve me better because it takes a Sim card and since I travel to Japan every year I could get a local sim when there.

Where I am confused is:

1. Is there a difference between the two phones. Sometimes I see Galaxy s2' s and they look totally different from one another. Also Virgin mobile offers a white phone as well.
2. Is the tmobile unlocked. Can one use it with an overseas provider.

In reality, I think maybe a Nexus 4 may serve me best but I need a hone in the next month and no telling when that be will be available.

Thanks,

Cfs123

1. There are different versions of SII's because of carrier requests. Some have the international version look of three buttons (one home and then the back and menu keys), then the others have the four button layout. The color of the phones doesn't matter apart from aesthetics.

2. Tmobile phones are GSM if I remember correctly and will work on SOME overseas networks.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones