• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Android - Setup Questions

MitzEclipse

Lurker
Apr 12, 2011
Hi, I'm new to Android (upgraded from BB Bold) and have been a BB person for years - I've got some setup questions.

This is a HTC Sensation on Vodafone UK running OS 2.3.3

- Notifications: How do I customize the LED on the phone? For some reason it does not blink when I receive Whatsapp messages.

- Email Notifications - Again these email notifications are not activating the LED for some reason?

- Upon downloading an application from the Market, it shows up in the upper left hand notifications. The icon stays there until I click the app and launch the app. How do I clear the icons at the same time?

- Wifi Hotspot - When I share the Wifi Hotspot (with for example my iPod Touch) does this use any additional data charges? It's not deemed 'tethering' is it?

- On the lock and main screens - how can I customize it so I can show multiple digital clocks? I'd like to show 5 clocks from different timezones

- I have 7 home screens - is there a way to 1) eliminate the screens down to 3 as I don't use all the screens or 2) edit the screens so I can have one of the screens be Whatsapp?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome,

- Notifications: How do I customize the LED on the phone? For some reason it does not blink when I receive Whatsapp messages.

On your home screen press menu -> settings -> display -> notification flash.

- Email Notifications - Again these email notifications are not activating the LED for some reason?

See above.

- Upon downloading an application from the Market, it shows up in the upper left hand notifications. The icon stays there until I click the app and launch the app. How do I clear the icons at the same time?

Press the clear button when you pull down the notification bar, should be near upper right corner.

- Wifi Hotspot - When I share the Wifi Hotspot (with for example my iPod Touch) does this use any additional data charges? It's not deemed 'tethering' is it?

Wifi hotspot is wireless tethering, your phone company will treat it that way.

- On the lock and main screens - how can I customize it so I can show multiple digital clocks? I'd like to show 5 clocks from different timezones

Download an app called Widget Locker and you can add widgets to the lockscreen, I think you will need to download an app that allows world clock widgets as sense widgets are not available in Widget Locker.

- I have 7 home screens - is there a way to 1) eliminate the screens down to 3 as I don't use all the screens or 2) edit the screens so I can have one of the screens be Whatsapp?

1) Yes you can download a home replacement app (launcher pro, go launcher, ADW) and customize your amount of home screens. 2) If Whatsapp has a widget you can add that to the home screen, if it is a 4x4 widget it will take up the entire screen, if it is not and you choose an home replacement app like go launcher or the paid version of launcher pro you can resize the widgets.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones