• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New to Verizon, question.

As I've posted before, I'm test-driving a Galaxy Nexus. I've come to like the phone, and will probably switch from AT&T. My 14-day trial ends this Wednesday, and I had a question.

I saw the $79 price on Amazon and have been contemplating taking the current Gnex back to my local store and ending the agreement. I understand I'll have to pay a $35 restocking fee. But is there a "wait time" until I could order the Nexus from Amazon? Or can I do it the next day? I didn't know what VZs policy was for this. If it's not long, I can hang with AT&T until then.

Still can't get over there's that much of a price difference. Crazy.

I bought my VGN through AmazonWireless and it works great, I have no issues. Best phone ever. My wife's Nexus however was troubled from the start. It was like we had two different phones. If you like and have no issues with the Nexus you have right now, you might not want to take your chances with the next one.

Anyone else have this fear? There are known issues with this phone and this site has multitudes of threads dedicated to all of them. Is it a small number of vocal VGN owners who have issues? Or are the majority of these handsets buggy?

Upvote 0
I bought my VGN through AmazonWireless and it works great, I have no issues. Best phone ever. My wife's Nexus however was troubled from the start. It was like we had two different phones. If you like and have no issues with the Nexus you have right now, you might not want to take your chances with the next one.

Anyone else have this fear? There are known issues with this phone and this site has multitudes of threads dedicated to all of them. Is it a small number of vocal VGN owners who have issues? Or are the majority of these handsets buggy?

I would say there are a large handfull of people that are having this issue when looking at the big picture. this phone sold a LOT. when people have issues with the phones they usually come to the forums and complain.

i for one, am very happy with my phone. who knows if i could say that with a stock phone, but i bought the phone planning on rooting it on day one.

sorry OP, i have no clue if there is a wait time. however i would say if you are terminating your contract, then you will be signing a new one through amazon, so it shouldn't matter one bit.

Upvote 0
So how does buying through Amazon work? Are you still able to deal directly with Verizon and corporate stores like a customer that bought directly from VZW online or in store? Any drawbacks?

I bought my GNex from Amazon, and have been into the local corporate store a couple of times since. I've been lucky enough to not have any of the problems others are having, but in chatting with the employees at the store (most of them are idiots, but there are a couple of competent people), it's no different than if I'd bought it from them.

I still signed a contract with Verizon and am a Verizon customer. They don't care where I bought the phone, unless I happen to get some ***hole kid who gets mad over missing a commission or something. From an official point of view, at least, it's no difference whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

I also don't know anything about a waiting period, but would guess you can sign a contract any time you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones