• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new, unfortunate, Handcent behavior...

paully

Feb 26, 2010
Norman, OK
I just update Handcent to the latest rev (yes I know it's like four months old :p), which I believe is 4.0, and it's giving me some trouble.

I send a text to a group of 70ish people weekly, which has never been a problem. I stay below the 160char limit (not that I think this matters, the real cut off for sms I believe is 480chars, i.e. above 480chars, it has to be an mms).

But the new Handcent rev is sending the group message out as an MMS, and so some people in my list are unable to receive the text. I'm having trouble finding the setting to fix this, and continue to send the sms.

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think that a character limit is what's triggering the conversion. I've been using handcent to do this job for over two years now, and its always sent SMS messages.

I think it has something to do with how it handles group messages. I've copy/pasted the exact same text and sent it to one person, and goes as sms. But sent to multiple people, it goes as mms. Lame.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones