1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

new, unfortunate, Handcent behavior...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by paully, Apr 10, 2012.

1. paully

paully Well-Known Member

I just update Handcent to the latest rev (yes I know it's like four months old :p), which I believe is 4.0, and it's giving me some trouble.

I send a text to a group of 70ish people weekly, which has never been a problem. I stay below the 160char limit (not that I think this matters, the real cut off for sms I believe is 480chars, i.e. above 480chars, it has to be an mms).

But the new Handcent rev is sending the group message out as an MMS, and so some people in my list are unable to receive the text. I'm having trouble finding the setting to fix this, and continue to send the sms.

Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mpw

mpw Android Expert

I have this limit problem with SMSs too, which I find very frustrating seeing as how my old Symbian phone could happily send a thousand word SMS to other 'old' tech phones.

3. paully

paully Well-Known Member

I don't think that a character limit is what's triggering the conversion. I've been using handcent to do this job for over two years now, and its always sent SMS messages.

I think it has something to do with how it handles group messages. I've copy/pasted the exact same text and sent it to one person, and goes as sms. But sent to multiple people, it goes as mms. Lame.

Any thoughts?