1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New Xperia unveiling?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by techgeezer34, Dec 31, 2013.

1. techgeezer34

techgeezer34 Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2013
    So Sony is unveiling it's new Xperia at the consumer electronics show next week. Their fan program says that the top ten winners get a mystery prize. Who wants to bet that it is the new phone?

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    If it is, the winners will have to wait until March to receive it based on the Xperia Z announcement. If there is a Z2 then I don't expect it to be on shelves much before Aug/Sept, 1yr after the Z1. A refresh cycle of less than 12mths makes little sense.

Right now there's nothing but rumour and speculation, much of it illogical. For example Softpedia claims

Erm..... no. Why would Sony put the same SOC in their new flagship as the old one, especially when the same source goes on to suggest that

Now that's more like a flagship handset, and is in-line with a 12mth refresh cycle.

p.s. moved to Android Lounge.

3. techgeezer34

techgeezer34 Lurker
    None

Dec 31, 2013
    I agree with you. Since the Z came out in March, why would they want to cannibalize their profits, especially when it was such a successful product. (Apparently helped get Sony out of red) Of course, they could be attempting to mimic the apple trend of releasing new products early and often. Z2 might not be the next flagship, but maybe just a bridge to hedge profits in between launches I wonder what they could be giving away that trumps the Z? My money is still on something that they will be unveiling at the CES in Vegas. Sony Mobile - Become an Xperia Xpert - Win Prizes - SocialToaster

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Some of us who bought the Z asked the same about the Z1 six months later. ;)

Apple follow a 12mth refresh cycle too, albeit different to the CES/MWC-based one favoured by most other OEMs.

It may be a Z-refresh but that's unlikely, as R&D resources are finite. The range already encompasses Xperia E/M/SP/Z/Z Ultra/Z1/.... "upgrading" the Z to Snapdragon 800 encroaches into the Z1's territory while being a less-than-compelling upgrade for exiting Z owners.

Given that this is nothing more than a promo site for Sony, it's most probably an existing handset. Their XperiaZone dealer channel gives no clues, and I place more trust in that than a site obviously aimed at "social engineering" product awareness. ;)