• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie and Gmail app.

I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet 7.0 and I set up a Gmail account. Now, everytime I tap the Gmail App, I am logged on automatically. This is crazy as anyone can steal by tablet and have instant access to my email. How do I force the tablet to ask for my Gmail password everytime I want to log on to Gmail? I have gone through the security setting, trying to eliminate all automatic passwords with no luck. Can you give me step by step instructions on how to have the tablet not save my Gmail password? Thanks.
Chris the newbie

OP, I don't believe there's a way to have the app compel you to enter your password every time you enter it. Your best bets would be to have a strong password for the lockscreen, and maybe using something like APP Lock to protect your apps that you're worried about.

Upvote 0
I believe there is a way to make a main password for the device, just like a password for a computer. I supose that is an option but I would rather avoid it. Another option may be, and I dont know if this is true or not, to eliminate the APP and just use the "email" APP.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "main", but you can go into the security portion of your tablet's settings and set up a password that must be entered every time you turn the screen on

2. AFAIK, the regular email app functions the same as the gmail app regarding login credentials, only requiring them during the setup.

Upvote 0
Odd. I told the plain old generic e-mail app about my gmail account and now that I have erased passwords in the security section, it comes up with a password screen when I press it. But the Gmail APP still takes me right to my e-mail. Perhaps there is no way to change the Gmail app except to make it go away. The alternative is to create, as you say, a screen password and use that at every bootup.
BTW, I am going trolling on the net for a good website with something like a user's guide. Anyone got a link to one they like for the Samsung tablet?

Upvote 0
Thanks! I am trying to find the screen lock and I will check out the app lock. I stumbled upon the 244 page PDF owners manual and the help site on the main samsung web site so looks like I am sitting at the bottom of that old learning curve. (Never had a smart phone)
1. I'm not sure what you mean by "main", but you can go into the security portion of your tablet's settings and set up a password that must be entered every time you turn the screen on

2. AFAIK, the regular email app functions the same as the gmail app regarding login credentials, only requiring them during the setup.

Upvote 0
Live chat with Samsung confirms that yes, here is how you lock the screen with a pin and there is no way they have to stop the app from skipping the password. You can bookmark the gmail log in screen, of course. I think it best that I use this particular e-mail account for chat only...no financial info....
chris

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones