• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newbie needs Jargon explanation please?

Enegue

Lurker
Dec 8, 2013
Will someone please provide the definitions for the following two words?

1.bricked or brick
2. root or rooted

Can anyone translate the following into less "inside baseball" jargon?

"Myself, I was rooted & unlocked & stock...failed the OTA install 3-4 times. I had to flash the 4.3 file to upgrade...than flash SuperSU to regain root."

Thanks for your help
Enegue

Will someone please provide the definitions for the following two words?

1.bricked or brick
Literally, turned your phone into a brick. Did something wrong, so your phone no longer works. (Most bricking situations can be fixed with software and no expense - IF you find instructions to do it for YOUR phone.) You may also see reference to JTAG - that's a method (and a piece of hardware) to bring what seems like a totally dead piece of equipment (like a phone or a router) back to life.

2. root or rooted
Getting administrative access to the operating system of the phone. Like Run as administrator in Windows.

Can anyone translate the following into less "inside baseball" jargon?

"Myself, I was rooted
Had admin access to the phone

& unlocked
Could use any carrier's SIM card (or it could refer to unlocking a locked bootloader, which would take a separate thread to explain.)

The ROM (system) that the phone came with, not one I put in myself

...failed the OTA install
Over the air update, sent out by the carrier by radio to all that model phone its customers are using. It failed.

I had to flash
Write software to read-only memory

the 4.3 file
Latest version of Android Jelly Bean

to upgrade
Because the OTA upgrade kept failing - probably because the phone was rooted, and OTA updates don't take on rooted phones.

...than flash SuperSU
An app that gives you access to the su (superuser) program

to regain root."
Well ... you get root by installing su. You make use of that ability by installing a program that can access su, and SuperSU is one of the best.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the very concise explanation and definitions.
After all that I don't think that most of it will apply to me since I have an inexpensive tablet that has no phone capability just Wi-Fi. I can however see that with some hard work I "might" be able to turn it in to a large "brick".
Thanks again for answering.
E

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones