• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

zuben el genub

Extreme Android User
Jan 24, 2011
I hate them. That includes newer luxury cars.
The Vulcan came home with a 2013 Lexus. There's simply too much crap in the car for him to deal with.

It has built in Bluetooth. His flip phone does work with it, but try to get audio NOT to connect. The instructions are in 3 places. Settings, Bluetooth and Audio. Can't list everything in one place. Audio seems to be the default.

Hasn't occurred to anyone that someone just might not want the car audio working on bluetooth or even want the audio streaming. No way to turn it totally off. I finally got it working without audio.
He doesn't use the phone in the car much, but I'd rather have him be able to answer hands free if he's expecting a call.

The car is uncomfortable. You can retract the lumbar support, but if you raise the seat so you can see over the dashboard, it reappears to some extent. The seats are too low. The seatbelt receptacle isn't long enough.
I have my seat all the way up and it's hard to latch the belt. You have to twist around to even get the belt.
That's the seat angle. I sit upright, so seat back is upright. In all years of riding on the back of a motorcycle, I never leaned on the sissy bar or back rest. I sat upright in the racing bucket seats in the Spitfire. Seat back is vertical in truck.

To top that off - the dealer was supposed to have reconditioned the car before sale. He never checked the bluetooth system. I know who used the system and what phone he had. I suppose if someone knew how to get info from an iPhone without a login, this guy would be a prime candidate for identity theft as his contact list was probably in there, too.

I haven't driven it. It's automatic and I usually won't drive one. But from the feel of the car on corners, it's a pig. My sport pickup truck handles better than that. I thought the Infiniti was bad, this thing is worse.

That's odd.... In all of my driving years, I've found that most Japanese cars, even compact, have seats that accommodate a big fella like me (6'2/270). Of course, the back rest is touching the rear seat ;) but who cares about rear passengers anyway??

This also is why I buy older cars. Whenever I drive anything newer, I feel like I'm gonna fall out of them, they're so cheaply built. I buy only used Chrysler products (all 3 of mine are 2000 and earlier, Daimler takeover made things worse). Chrysler parts are cheap and they're easy to fix, and they'll give you over 200K if you treat 'em nice.

Bluetooth sync integrated audio? Nah... My minivan has a cassette player (!) Hahaha... All I need is a 3.5mm adapter, a music app and I'm good. Newer cars have too many integrated electronics that operate off of each other. Too many headaches to list, TBH.... I can always get the car of my dreams; I just get them 10+years after they come out!

I finally got the 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 I've always wanted... 17 years and 160K miles later, but it only cost me a couple hundred bucks. Huzzah!

Upvote 0
What model of Lexus? If he got an LS, that's a boat. It's meant for sheer comfort, not handling. The ES is just a Camry with some glitter, so also not spectacular.

An IS or GS is going to have finer tuned sport handling.

As far as BT, you should be able to turn that off. I love my newer car(2012 Ford Fusion). I had to turn on the bluetooth manually though. And yes, the dealership had not cleared it. PO had a Galaxy S2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones