• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Foxspeed

Android Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2010
I have recently upgraded my tariff to the Three 'One Plan' which gives me access to their 4G connectivity hopefully later in the year. I know that the Nexus isn't compatible with 4G but will the Nexus 4 be able to accept it?
I need to upgrade so was thinking about the S4 but the Google Nexus 4 is a very good price right now to buy outright.
Any thougjts or advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

The Nexus 4, as it is shipped, does not use LTE. If you root the phone, it is possible to flash a radio so that the Nexus 4 will use LTE. I'm not sure what LTE bands in will support, so I'm not sure if it will work with Three. Again, though, you will need to flash the phone with the updated radio, and "fix" it everything you get a new Android upgrade. For the instructions on how to flash game LTE radio to a Nexus 4, you'll want to check the Nexus 4 all things root forum.

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
The Nexus 4, as it is shipped, does not use LTE. If you root the phone, it is possible to flash a radio so that the Nexus 4 will use LTE. I'm not sure what LTE bands in will support, so I'm not sure if it will work with Three. Again, though, you will need to flash the phone with the updated radio, and "fix" it everything you get a new Android upgrade. For the instructions on how to flash game LTE radio to a Nexus 4, you'll want to check the Nexus 4 all things root forum.

The Nexus 4 only supports band 4 (1700/2100) LTE.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, yes I have owned my gnex for a few years now and like it (apart from the poor volumes). Im not one for rooting so may move on to the S4 in the next few months or when it is possible to accept LTE speeds.
I like the idea of connecting a USB flash drive for data transfer etc on the gnex but I think its possible to have around 128gb with SD card on the S4. Time will tell.

Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Wait for the likely to be announced soon, Nexus 5 before you make a decision. This Nexus 4 price cut is probably Google clearing out inventory to make room for the Nexus 5.

Also, I believe that most people put the Nexus 5 at LTE and quad core.

Then again, everything I said in this post is complete rumor.

Most rumors are pointing to the Nexus 5 being roughly similar to the LG G2, in the same way the Nexus 4 was like the Optimus G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones