• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 5 on Jump!?

DILands

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
King of Prussia PA 19406
Hey all - I jumped on Jump! LOL on Day 1 (7/21 I think). Got a Samsung GS4 - and am making the monthly payments. I've already by eyeing the G2 - which I'll be able to upgrade to in January.

IF I decide (because, after all we all know that 6 months is too long to wait for an upgrade LOL), and want to get the N5 whenever it's released - can I "give" the SG4 back to T-Mo, stop paying the monthly equipment payments, and save the upgrade?

TIA!

IF I decide (because, after all we all know that 6 months is too long to wait for an upgrade LOL), and want to get the N5 whenever it's released - can I "give" the SG4 back to T-Mo, stop paying the monthly equipment payments, and save the upgrade?

Is this what you mean: You want to buy the Nexus 5 in a couple months, return the SG4, stop paying the monthly Jump fee, and save your upgrade for a later time?

No, I don't see that happening.

Upvote 0
Not exactly - I would keep paying the Jump fee - not the $20.00 equipment charges for the S4.

I'm not sure how this situation would be handled. My guess though is that you can only turn in the device if you plan to move to another device through the program. You may be able to do this considering T-Mobile carried the Nexus 4 and that would lead us to believe they might carry the Nexus 5.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how this situation would be handled. My guess though is that you can only turn in the device if you plan to move to another device through the program. You may be able to do this considering T-Mobile carried the Nexus 4 and that would lead us to believe they might carry the Nexus 5.

Even if that were to be the case, they didn't carry the N4 at launch.

Upvote 0
Even if that were to be the case, they didn't carry the N4 at launch.

Not all of them had it in store, but they did carry it at launch in select locations and VERY small inventory. There were a couple of people on here that didn't get it during the Google Play Launch disaster, but bit the bullet to buy from T-Mobile at full retail.

Upvote 0
Not all of them had it in store, but they did carry it at launch in select locations and VERY small inventory. There were a couple of people on here that didn't get it during the Google Play Launch disaster, but bit the bullet to buy from T-Mobile at full retail.

It seemed like Google was shocked at the demand for the Nexus 4 and just didn't have enough built for launch. I'm guessing, the way they cleaned out the Nexus 4 inventory in early September, that they will be well stocked with Nexus 5 for launch.

Of course, given the interest in the Nexus 5 right now, I'm worried they still might not have enough.

Upvote 0
It seemed like Google was shocked at the demand for the Nexus 4 and just didn't have enough built for launch. I'm guessing, the way they cleaned out the Nexus 4 inventory in early September, that they will be well stocked with Nexus 5 for launch.

Of course, given the interest in the Nexus 5 right now, I'm worried they still might not have enough.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the history Google has shown for a smooth launch. Galaxy Nexus was a train wreck for Verizon, 1st Gen Nexus 7s took forever to cover all the preorders, Nexus 4/10 launch day timeouts and Nexus 4 supply, and Chromecast sold out quickly. History isn't on our side. :(

Upvote 0
I saw an interesting rumor today and I wonder what it might do to demand for the Nexus 5.

Phone Arena is reporting a rumor that there might be a new, LTE version, of the Nexus 4 sold alongside the Nexus 5. They report the pricing will be $299 for a Nexus 4 LTE with 16 GB, $349 for a 32 GB model, then $399 for the 16 GB Nexus 5, and $449 for the 32 GB Nexus 5. They do admit they haven't been able to get any confirmation for this rumor, but it is definitely an interesting one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones