• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 5 screen flickering/shaking

Hi,

After 14 happy months with my Nexus 5 the screen started flickering/shaking. Please take a look at
for an example. It's actually a mild example, sometimes the bottom of the screen shakes all the way up to the top.

I gave Google a call and they suggest trying out a number of things including factory resetting the device. As I didn't make any configuration changes or installed any new software I believe it's more likely a hardware failure. Unfortunately the device is out of warranty.

Does anyone know what this could be and if it's possible to repair without breaking the bank? Which component would be the most likely culprit?

I live in HK where there are many little repair shops, but would like to understand a bit better what could cause this before heading over to one of them.

Cheers,
Chris.

The factory reset isn't going to hurt - might as well try it and rule out any software issues. (just make sure you backup your data first).
Software updates can do strange things at times.

P.S. Before a factory reset, try rebooting in safe mode to see if the problem persists - if the problem goes away, it is a third party app that is causing the issue.
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0
Hi guys, I have a nexus 5 as well and the problem happens, it happened a couple months after I bought it. I have noticed though that it only flickers when the device gets really hot. So basically the solution is to let it cool down a bit and then use it again. Works for me, I think it's just bad engineering by LG and one of the components doesn't like heat. So in conclusion, put down your phone and look around you for 5 minutes and appreaciate the world that we live in :D

Upvote 0
My Nexus 5 has been acting up over the past week or so and has begun to actively cut to black, white and even sometimes static screens. As the initial flickering came out of nowhere I've gone through the phone and, after performing a factory reset and clearing my cache, the problem persists. Luckily the device will go through moments where it will behave, but when it acts up my device is rendered useless for anywhere between 5 minutes and 30.

Any help would be appreciated as I seem to have contracted a rather advanced form of whatever this illness is.

Side note:
Based on the replies I've read, my phone:

- Is unfortunately out of warranty.
- Has not had overheating problems in the last few months after removing the protective case.
- Has been dropped perhaps 3 times with no physical damage to the exterior or any evident internal damage (last drop was around 2 months ago).
-Has well over half of it's memory space free.

Upvote 0
Hi im facing screen shaking problem too, and tried below :

a) Factory Reset. ( While erasing apps screen appears, display still shaking upwards )

b) Rebooting in safe mode to identify if any third party app causing the problem. ( Display still shaking in safe mode )

c) Setting on screen brightness to 40% or more. ( Didn't help either)

More to add that, the problem rises most when i try to type something, however i have tried different keyboard but problem not solved.

Only not using the phone for about an hour minimize the problem and after using for just 10 min its same again.

Can any one help to fix it???

Upvote 0
Having the same problem with my Galaxy S5. I agree, it only happens after relatively long periods of use. I enabled some options in the developer options that somewhat reduced the issue, but after really intensive use, it happens anyway. I also factory reseted and reinstalled firmware to no avail.
This happened after installing a microsd card (don't know if related). Of course tried taking the card out, of course didn't solve the problem.
The phone has been repaired under warranty for water damage 6 months ago. Might this be related? I've been offered a display and display module change for AR$3200 (about 300 dollars). I'm so mad at Samsung, first the phone isn't waterproof and then this... But apart from that, I love the phone.
After long periods of use I'm also unable to turn on the screen, I need to wait for some time because it won't turn on.
What should I do? Should i disassemble the device and try to look for anything obvious?
Thank you!
Cheers

Upvote 0
@Vishalgondil Were these the symptoms of ur phone -> Screen Flickering, Blank unresponsive screen, Trying to reset failed, Even reboot window occurs only occasionally (pwr+vol up&down) -- Pls do reply... I hope your solution would work for my 14month-old Nexus 5 as well!

Prior to this, it had gone blank one night, without any dropping or physical damage, and since then the screen did not flicker, but it worked for some 10 mins and would go blank. I had to reboot it everytime. I kept it aside for 5 days and after that it began working properly again (to my shock) Then after 2 weeks or so, I dropped it once, no physical damage to screen but since then the symptoms I have mentioned has occurred. It's quite disappointing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Vishalgondil Were these the symptoms of ur phone -> Screen Flickering, Blank unresponsive screen, Trying to reset failed, Even reboot window occurs only occasionally (pwr+vol up&down) -- Pls do reply... I hope your solution would work for my 14month-old Nexus 5 as well!

Prior to this, it had gone blank one night, without any dropping or physical damage, and since then the screen did not flicker, but it worked for some 10 mins and would go blank. I had to reboot it everytime. I kept it aside for 5 days and after that it began working properly again (to my shock) Then after 2 weeks or so, I dropped it once, no physical damage to screen but since then the symptoms I have mentioned has occurred. It's quite disappointing!
My nexus's problem was with only screen flickring.even not able to type on the screen.I have done reset factory,erase all data..still problem persists.Then I repaired my phone in LG center by changing flexing cable..

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem but my screen moved side to side rather than up or down. Mine only happened when the phone was plugged into a charger. I swapped cables and the problem persisted. I swapped the plug that goes into the wall and it went away. I tossed that gizmo in the trash and have had no more problems.

Upvote 0
My problem is solved..change the flexing cable 1600 rupees.
Hi,
I am facing the same problem.I am unable to use my Nexus 5 due to flickering screen. I visited LG service centre in Jamshedpur but they said to change the display and it would cost Around 8000 bucks. But I saw your post in the forum thet you got your prob;lem fixed by changing the flex cable / charging port by only 1600 buck. So can you please send the details of service centre.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones