• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6P won't install on any system

King Mustard

Dec 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My dad has a Nexus 6P.

When he connects it to my Windows 10 PC or his own Windows 10 laptop, nothing appears in Computer (any USB mode on the phone).

Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation mark next to the device.

Trying to reinstall shows that an error occurs whilst installing 'MTP Device' (service installation section in INF invalid).

I have tried installing the standard Android USB drivers, no luck.

I've tried with and without USB debugging mode enabled.

Any ideas?

I did find a thread on a Microsoft support site which suggests re-installing the Microsoft driver may help:
(1) Go to C:\Windows\INF
(2) Type "wpdmtp.inf" in search bar provided to the right of the address bar in Windows 10.
(3) Once you found it, just right click on it and select install. It will take a very few seconds.
(4) Connect your device to the pc.

Another possible solution:
1) Install drivers manually in the device manager
2) Klick "search from a list"
3) Then ADB interface
4) Then you have to pick the right one. It was "MTP-USB-Device".

Windows drivers are such a pain to deal with. Hopefully one of these solutions will help you. Let me know how it goes!

Upvote 0
Tried them all.

Non work.

Tried swapping the cable.

It's a stock/standard 6P with no modifications.

In that case I would uninstall the driver in device manager for the device you know to be the phone. If in doubt, unplug/replug the phone while watching device manager to be sure. Once its uninstalled, select file transfer mode of USB connection and see if Win auto installs the driver.

Think I remember a glitch from the earlier days where installing the drivers for charge only mode gave some people fits whereas it worked better using file transfer mode. But you'd need to start with a clean slate, because windows. I run a 6p also so doing the best I can here from memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones