• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 2012 now usable again

deltafred

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
My Nexus 7 2012 has been a source of annoyance ever since I "upgraded" to 5.1.1, I have kept it charged but not been able to do anything useful with it until today.

I was looking into downgrading the software back to Kit Kat but was being understandably cautious as I didn't want to brick it, not that it would have made it any less useful.

While trying to get to the bottom of Settings to look at "About Tablet" for some unknown reason I went into "Security" and saw the "Device Administrator" option. On going there I saw that "Find My Phone" was set as an administrator. I unchecked that and after it had done 1001 updates that have patiently been waiting to be installed it is now back to a usable tablet again.

I know that most of these will probably have gone for recycling years ago but i hope this is of use to those who have hung onto them in the hope that one day they will be usable again.

P.S. I emailed a friend who has a Nexus 7 2013 that has not been particularly fast since he upgraded it and told him and it has improved the performance of that one as well.

A quick update.

Something is setting "Find MY Phone" back to an administrator, strangely it now doesn't seem to affect the performance too much. I have no idea what is going on, why would this cause the performance to be so affected when 5.1.1 was first installed and not now?

The last time I unticked the option I was presented with a popup which allowed me to disable it. So far it hasn't been reinstated as an administrator. I live in hope!

My guess is that this is a sneaky backport that Google introduced so that they can remotely make the tablet unusable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones