• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 cant connect with imap

gillsman

Aug 26, 2013
Hi all,
this is driving me mad, I have tried all manner of different email clients on my Nexus 7, I have configured the settings for imap to access my virginmedia account using the identical settings I use on my laptop. which basically is imap.virginmedia.com incoming port 993
smtp.virginmedia.com outgoing port 465

I have tried all sorts of combinations SSL ticked & unticked also all the different port numbers 143 / 25 etc, etc, also tried using blueyonder.co.uk & gmail.com & every combination I can think of but whatever I have tried it fails to connect to server. I even rang VM, they were at a lose as well.

Now my wife has an android (unbranded Maplins thingy) & hers works (same account) the only difference is hers is JellyBean 4.2 but my Nexus has updated to 4.3, thats the only difference. i can access my email by logging in to a web browser of course but that is not the way I prefer plus I would love to know what's causing it. JB 4.3 do you think or something else.

grateful to all for any light that can be thrown on this.

many thanks.:thinking:

Hi

I have had the same problem since purchasing my Nexus. I was able to send but not receive. But now I have fixed the problem in the app GMX.

It was all down to the settings in Virginmail.

First you have to set Imap settings in virgin mail
go to virginmail
settings
forwading
Enable Imap

Secondly I changed the setting to
Keep Virgin Media mail copy in the Inbox

hey presto it now can receive email.

The Imp settings will be automatically set in GMX.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
OK, tried GMX, just like all the others, will not connect. Looks like I will just have to use web mail.
I think there might be some system settings that are blocking it but no idea what.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Did you try the following?

Hi

I have had the same problem since purchasing my Nexus. I was able to send but not receive. But now I have fixed the problem in the app GMX.

It was all down to the settings in Virginmail.

First you have to set Imap settings in virgin mail
go to virginmail
settings
forwading
Enable Imap

Secondly I changed the setting to
Keep Virgin Media mail copy in the Inbox

hey presto it now can receive email.

The Imp settings will be automatically set in GMX.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
It sounds like the problem may lie in the wifi router configuration rather than the Nexus 7. Have you tried connecting in a different location (a public wifi hotspot, say) to see if your IMAP settings work there?

Sometimes just removing a device from the router's tables and re-establishing the connection from scratch can fix obscure glitches like this if it turns out that a single router is the cause.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea John Bean, I tried it connected to a friends router & I also have a mobile wi-fi device but sadly both gave the same results.
I appreciate your input but it does look like the nexus has some incorrect settings or something that's not quite as it should be.
I wonder if I did a full system reset would it put things back the way they should be but would I loose all my apps some of which I have paid for & I don't want to loose.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the idea John Bean, I tried it connected to a friends router & I also have a mobile wi-fi device but sadly both gave the same results.
I appreciate your input but it does look like the nexus has some incorrect settings or something that's not quite as it should be.
I wonder if I did a full system reset would it put things back the way they should be but would I loose all my apps some of which I have paid for & I don't want to loose.

As long as you sign in with your Google account that you purchased the apps with, you will be able to download them again

Upvote 0
Oh Boy, anyone got a big hammer please!! No only kidding, but this is just too much now.
I did the system reset & it went well, even automatically re-installed all my apps once I re-created my Gmail account, so tried to set up the email again & I get "Invalid Username or password" I am 100% certain that they are most definitely correct, even went on my main pc, logged in & checked all the settings, everything is the same except that it WILL NOT WORK!! too say I am P****d off would be an understatement.......................

Upvote 0
I use the stock email client for several accounts, both POP3 and IMAP, with no problems. In fact, I've used it since Android 1.0 with no problems.

That you have not found the correct setup does not prove it is defective. Different email clients often use different setups. If a particular setup works with the stock client but not K9 would K9 then have a 'problem'? Not necessarily.

Also, you assume that what works for your desktop will work for your phone. Not always true, settings may be different including even different servers. Time-Warner Cable Road Runner uses different servers for desktop and mobile, for example.

Upvote 0
I use the stock email client for several accounts, both POP3 and IMAP, with no problems. Used it since Android 1.0 with no problems.

I don't doubt that what you say is true, but I do doubt that you are using it with the same ISP email account that is causing problems for the OP.

There have been many such postings about issues with the stock email client and some email accounts - especially with respect to login problems that vanish when using a different email app, or a non-Android device for that matter.

For those who have no issues with the stock email app - and I'm sure they are the majority - then that's great, but for those who do have issues the successful use of a different email app is pretty convincing evidence that the stock email app was the culprit.

Upvote 0
If this was a one-off then I'd be inclined to agree with your extended comments, but it's not.

Perhaps it's just coincidence that there are many reports of login problems with the stock email app that simply "go away" when an alternative app is used instead, but I rarely find "coincidence" useful when diagnosing multiple similar fault reports that relate to a single piece of software and offering remedial advice to the user(s).

I'm glad it works fine for you though :)

Upvote 0
I hate to throw a spanner into the argument about stock versus third party apps but I have actually tried about 6 or 7 different apps now as I wondered myself if an alternative might prove successful but so far none has. Iv'e tried GMX, Sagemail, Profimail, Emoze, Kaiten, K9, Aquamail & of course the stock app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones