• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 In-Dash Project

Shot some primer, looks like I need to sand a little bit more, fill a gap or two, and then it'll be ready for final paint and some suede-like material for the Nexus bay thing.

I'm still attempting to come up with a "lip" to put on the bottom so it won't just... fall out. lol

2013-05-03%2023.18.25.jpg

2013-05-03%2023.19.59.jpg

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Just ordered a Nexus 7 POGO dock, so I'll be cutting the dash up a bit more before final paint.

Does anyone use the 3G model of the Nexus? If so, how much do you pay per month for data? T-Mobile or AT&T, I'm looking at both. I don't want to rely on tethering for my Nexus, and I don't plan on using a lot of data, I just want to be able to get my email and texts (via DeskSMS/TabletSMS).

Upvote 0
Just wondered if you've had a chance to start giving it a run through, with Nav and such, or if you still have more hookups to finish before that can happen.

Yeah I've been using it since I got it to the point it is in in that last photo. Tethering to my phone, navigation works flawlessy, as well as streaming Netflix/Hulu (not that I condone doing that while driving, of course ;) )

Sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
Very nice project. I have been considering something similar. I am not so much interested in the audio facilities as some enhancements to travel capability such as GPS navigation assistance with the ability to interact with the Internet for Points Of Interest along the route. As well, I expect to be able to add hands free operation of a Skype telephone capability and internet browsing.

There are a number of Android Apps available that have a piece of hardware associated with them that allows you to tap into the On Board Computer that is available on all modern vehicles. A "dongle" type device plugs into the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) connector located just to the left of the steering column, low down near the hood release. There is a widely accepted standard that nearly all manufacturers conform to regarding pin assignment etc. called OBD II.

The dongle has a Bluetooth connection to the Android device thus making available to the App all data necessary to allow the creation and real time display of a wide range of vehicle instrumentation including things like ignition advance, manifold pressure, oil pressure, RPM, Torque, Temperature, Speed, engine load, efficiency, etc. and even engine diagnostics. The OBD Connector is the same one a mechanic would use to diagnose your engine.

It would also be possible to get current traffic information.

Of course, none of this would prevent having a good audio facility if desired. Even front and rear cameras could be integrated.

I am surprised the auto manufacturers have not gone this route and integrated all of the vehicle standard monitoring and entertainment into a single software controlled display.

Upvote 0
I am surprised the auto manufacturers have not gone this route and integrated all of the vehicle standard monitoring and entertainment into a single software controlled display.

There are actually quite a number of cars with on-board displays for function, G-forces, mileage, acceleration, etc. More sports-car related, but there are some. I think probably the reason we don't see it all in one unit, i.e. a central screen, is that the monitors I've seen so far through the Mfr, are usually high on the dash, or heads-up displays, to avoid having to shift your eyes too far from the road. If you have it set to display in a screen in the middle, you run the risk of the driver looking down and getting distracted while trying to monitor the vehicle. Granted, aftermarket gauges and monitors are often mounted that way anyway (not ideal, of course, and I know a lot of people use pods on the pillar or top of the dash). I think it's more to keep the auto mfr liability lower.

And there are also bluetooth OBDII connectors as well. I use Torque Pro with one on my Nexus, so when I mount my phone in it's cradle, I can get all that real-time information and diagnostics at a glance (as well as reading/resetting codes for friends if need be). That said, I would definitely love having that same on my Tablet in the center. My old AVIC-N1 screen used to have things like speedometer and everything on display via GPS. I bet the Torque gauge display would rock in a center tab display.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones