• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 keyboard? The virtual - what software is it?

CrackBaby

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2012
I read in one review that the Nexus 7 has the best virtual keyboard he has ever tried. I'll be darned if I can find the review now...I will post the URL when I find it. Anyway, was wondering if anyone knows what it is. Is it swiftkey, swype, or something new?

It would be the jellybean stock keyboard. From the video I saw it looks like a complete copy of swiftkey. You have three word predictions on top with the regular keys below.

Yeah I remember having seen that in a number of places. A few reviews said it was pretty much SwiftKey. I have SwiftKey purchased but I'm going to give the stock JB keyboard a try before I install it on my Nexus 7. SwiftKey is going to have to come up with something interesting (besides a more complex dictionary) to gain new subscribers once JB becomes one of Android's more dominant OS's.

Upvote 0
I have swiftkey on my phone, but I'm pretty sure that the tablet version is different and costs money on its own. So I don't think i will be buying that. I'll just use stock.

Yep, one of the only problems with SwiftKey is you need to purchase it separately for phones and tablets.
I personally love it and think the text prediction is much better than the stock JB keyboard. Plus you can have a divided keyboard for landscape on tablets.

Upvote 0
Yep, one of the only problems with SwiftKey is you need to purchase it separately for phones and tablets.
I personally love it and think the text prediction is much better than the stock JB keyboard. Plus you can have a divided keyboard for landscape on tablets.

I held off buying the tablet version for a year for my Xoom- then saw they had a 50% off promotion a month or so. Tried out the trial briefly, liked what I saw and went for it. Don't regret it for an instant - it's nice to have virtually the same keyboard on both my Incredible and my Xoom.

Gonna be buying the wife a Nexus 7 for her birthday next month so it'll be interesting to see how the stock JB keyboard compares.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones