• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus 7 WiFi hotspot!

pmede76

Lurker
May 18, 2013
I have a nexus 7 on Telstra's 4g network in Australia. When I got the tablet, WiFi hotspot worked perfectly, could connect laptop and phone to it without any trouble. Recently, I think since latest update to 4.4.2, hotspot no longer works! Its not a carrier problem because I can tether my laptop to my phone on the same network, and its not a problem with the laptop for the same reason. I have searched everywhere, downloaded recommended apps (can't see how that would help but tried anyway), but had no success. Should mention that laptop picks up and connects to the nexus 7 hotspot, but shows connection as limited, no internet access. Help me please before I donate the tablet to my dogs.

Just further to this. I have now tried about 7-8 times just in testing by connecting my iPhone to the nexus 7 hotspot. It's worked once. I am using a network analyser App on the iPhone. Pings seem to work reliably. But no Web pages except on that one occasion. Client ip is always the same. Networking details according to the network analyser is consistent too. Strange.

Upvote 0
Running CM11 M1 on mine, hotspot works a treat.

Never tried it with vanilla Android still installed. If you're willing to experiment, give CM11 a shot. You'll have to re-do the entire device, but the small tweaks of CM11 make it worth it.

I admit, I only installed it because I'm spoiled by their customizable/arrangeable quick settings menu. And even though it's not a "stable" build, everything works as it should, including hardware acceleration.

Hope you can get this sorted!

Upvote 0
Running CM11 M1 on mine, hotspot works a treat.

Never tried it with vanilla Android still installed. If you're willing to experiment, give CM11 a shot. You'll have to re-do the entire device, but the small tweaks of CM11 make it worth it.

I admit, I only installed it because I'm spoiled by their customizable/arrangeable quick settings menu. And even though it's not a "stable" build, everything works as it should, including hardware acceleration.

Hope you can get this sorted!

You can get customizable quick settings on stock also by using xposed framework. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones