• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nexus contact sync

I am going to quote myself below because I posted this in the Watering Hole when it should more rightly be in the Nexus section in order to get some input. Quite possibly someone will tell me that I am missing the obvious and here is how to fix the issue, at least I hope so.

Well, I am enjoying my GNex for the most part, although I do have a couple of things that I do not like and that is with the contacts part of the system. I'll list those issues here in case someone knows a solution.

First, the phone adds my Google+ contacts to my Phone contacts list. This would not be a problem if the only people I view in Google+ were people that I call, but some of the people I follow in Google+ are just people that are worth following, but I don't want to have to go through them when looking for a phone number. I looked and I did not find a setting that would let me say only sync a Google+ contact into phone contacts if they are in my phone list. I do however want the Google + app to sync on its own so that the information I want to see is there when I want to see it and that I can get the appropriate notifications.

The second issue I have with contacts is there are some contacts that I do not want to actually show up and I was able to do this on the old version of Android. Here are two examples of how this is useful. I had a someone who kept calling my personal phone number for a work related issue (employees gave out my number when they shouldn't have) and no matter how many times I told them to use the business line they kept calling me, so I created a group in Google Voice called Block and whenever their numbers called me they got a message referring them to the business phone. I did not want to see these numbers in my contact list so I prevented them from appearing on the phone. The other thing I found useful is I signed up for text updates from some businesses and in order to be able to quickly identify who these texts were coming from I created a contact for them with their name and a picture placed that contact in a text message group and hid the group. By doing this when I got a text message from them instead of having the message say it came from some odd number it says it came from who they are with an identifying picture without cluttering up my phone directory with useless information.
I could do this before but can't seem to do so now.

I think I found what you want to do for Google+. Enable contact sync in that app, then open up the People app. In there, touch the menu button and then "Contacts to Display." Tap customize at the bottom, then go through each account and select the ones you want to actually show. For me that is syncing Google+ stuff with people already in my google contacts, but it doesn't show everyone. (This works the same way for Twitter and probably others)

This should be the same kind of thing you want to do for the blocked contacts. I have the ones I want to show up in my phone under "My Contacts" in gmail, and when I hit customize like above, just have that group checked. Yet if one of the people in one of the other groups calls, their name will be displayed.

Reactions: Shades.549
Upvote 0
I think I found what you want to do for Google+. Enable contact sync in that app, then open up the People app. In there, touch the menu button and then "Contacts to Display." Tap customize at the bottom, then go through each account and select the ones you want to actually show. For me that is syncing Google+ stuff with people already in my google contacts, but it doesn't show everyone. (This works the same way for Twitter and probably others)

This should be the same kind of thing you want to do for the blocked contacts. I have the ones I want to show up in my phone under "My Contacts" in gmail, and when I hit customize like above, just have that group checked. Yet if one of the people in one of the other groups calls, their name will be displayed.

Thanks for the help, I had opened up the menu but did not see the "contacts to display option". It seems that I was on the wrong page of the app and the option did not show up (was on the groups page since I was trying to decide what groups to show instead of being on the just plain contacts page.)
This will make it much more useful, since although I follow thing such as Google+ page for the All About Android podcast, I don't actually have them on my speed dial.

Upvote 0
OK, I've been convinced to take the leap :D & now I have forsaken years of HTC where i was able to sync contacts & calendar from my laptop's Outlook via USB using their sync software. perhaps i'm antiquated but i really don't want to use google for my business needs, is there no similar set-up for this phone, or do i have to go buy an app of some sort? I've been searching all afternoon for a solution...help? anyone, anyone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones