• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One: Google

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
As you all know, Google started selling the Nexus One phone this week. They also provide their Android OS to various other smart phone manufactures. Since Google now sells their own branded phone, it is believed that handset makers will be discouraged from working with Google since it may reflect a conflict of interest [...]

More...

It seemed pretty clear to me that Google plans to offer multiple devices on the Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. site from multiple manufacturers. Did I miss something in the press conference?

Assuming they really will carry other manufacturer's product, then their 'competition' will view them as simply another retailer.

This is not much different than allowing Moto souped up access and support for Android 2.0.

I would be wary as a manufacturer, but HTC, Moto, Samsung, etc. are not mom and pop operations. They can take care of themselves.

Upvote 0
equation - google isn't manufacturing phones - they're sourcing them from HTC

They've probably got HTC under a negotiated NDA or other agreement where HTC wouldn't be allowed to sell it in any markets Google is selling them in, but on the flip side, google has guaranteed them a certain volume in terms of purchase

I don't see any reason for any mfgr to be leary - in fact, if anything, other mfgrs might want to get aggressive and try to win google's business

Upvote 0
Google making their own phone will turn out to be a good thing for it's hardware partners and carriers. The biggest thing is that it carriers will no longer offer up old versions of the Android OS upon launch of an Android phone. Why would they? They know they have to pseudo-compete with Google, so they must have the most current OS on launch. It will also force carriers to submit OS updates to match Google's phone.

Upvote 0
looks like folks on the google support forum aren't happy - as i posted earlier, they're reporting spotty 3g svc while their other phone has full 3g

but the glitch i hadn't thought about - nexus one customers are calling HTC customer svc who's telling them it's a Tmobile issue and to call Tmobile, Tmobile is telling them it's google or HTC, that they have no control

got a feeling if google doesn't take control there's going to be serious issues for google on any other projects - customers feeling like a ping pong ball trying to get service is not fun

especially after all the hype and paying $530

Upvote 0
It really worries me as a potential customer that Droid was released and buzzing just a little over a month ago, and now its OS is already outdated. Most importantly, an OS update is not available nor scheduled for Droid.

That just does NOT look good for ALL Android phone and just Android in general. It is worrisome. It hurts the overall impression and prospect of Android. People are gonna ask: if I buy a new Android phone now, will Google releases an updated Android in two months and then my phone OS will be outdated and have to wait to maybe get an update patch (or not)?

Upvote 0
It really worries me as a potential customer that Droid was released and buzzing just a little over a month ago, and now its OS is already outdated. Most importantly, an OS update is not available nor scheduled for Droid.

That just does NOT look good for ALL Android phone and just Android in general. It is worrisome. It hurts the overall impression and prospect of Android. People are gonna ask: if I buy a new Android phone now, will Google releases an updated Android in two months and then my phone OS will be outdated and have to wait to maybe get an update patch (or not)?

This is the beauty of Android: if you don't like what the corporations are doing, you can take matters into your own hands.

You can just install a ROM if you don't want to wait. Problem solved.

I disagree with you, in fact it makes Android more interesting and keeps up the media buzz surrounding Android. The iPhone has one update hardware and software per year. Android, every 2-3 months something new comes out. Droid, Nexus one, toss in a Sony Ericsson X10, and who knows what else?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones