• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC for the UK?

Will NFC work on my Galaxy Nexus here in the UK and if so, what will I need or have to do to enable it?

Many thanks.

First things first. Of course NFC will work in the UK, but not for payment services yet, if this is what you had in mind. However, there are other useful applications for the service, such as contact exchange, pictures and so on, between two NFC enabled phones.

To enable NFC on your GNex go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > More and then put a tick in the NFC box - done, your GNex now runs NFC.

If you want to do other useful things you can purchase 'writable tags' (I use self-adhesive ones) and write code (programme them) to them by putting the back of your phone in close proximity to the tag. After that, when you touch the tag it will execute a task on the GNex that was programmed by you.

The writing, or programming is done by NFC tag writing apps, which are either free or very cheap and which you can find on the Play Store. I personally use NFC Task Launcher, but it can be any of the others that enable the writing and launching of tasks written with the apps. They are mostly very easy to use.

Just ensure, if you want to try this, that you purchase the correct tags. There is plenty of information available via Google and the tags I purchased cost around

Reactions: z0mb13m4n
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones