• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nice to see phone carriers screwing its customers - Vodafone

Almost all the networks actively block streaming UNLESS they provide it via their portal pages.

I think what he means is that all carrier's exclude media streaming from your data bundle in the t&c unless it is provided though their portals.

We are going to be seeing all carriers blocking streaming sites in the near future. The 3g network development cannot keep up with demand and unfortunately data caps and blocking of media streaming are the only short term solutions available.

Upvote 0
Having never tried TVCatchup I thought I would give it a go, have an HTC Desire on Vodafone from Carphonewarehouse.

Using the Wi-Fi at home if I login and choose a channel I get the advert playing and then a white screen with an exclamation mark in the middle and that's it. Does this mean it's blocked? My tariff is listed as unlimited web and texts so in theory it should work fine!

***Update***
I tried Yamgo and that works.....if I tap the screen on the exclamation mark I get a 'flash' error, guess something isn't installed for TVCatchup?

Upvote 0
I hate VF with a passion - so much so - that I didn't buy the Jenson cap at the Silverstone GP last weekend coz it had vodafone written on the front!

They tried to screw us up by selling us 2 contracts when we only took 1 contract (We took the contract on phone - so none of this pressing enter twice on the internet excuse). Then made us spend 4+ hours on the phone on cancelling the contracts that we didn't order in the first place. CSR's were all super-arsey and their supervisors were no good either.

This has happened to a lot of other people too (google it you want)

I'm not surprised of the service (or the lack of it) they're providing to the OP.

Good luck in getting this resolved - we only got our contracts cancelled because we were really persistent on the phone and woulnd't take no for an answer (which would've left us

Upvote 0
"Go Away"? Wow, I'd ring em just to complain about that :p.....and then get them to fix the problem.
Remember, if they have to provide the phone, they shouldnt do "sim only" contracts, or even offer Pay as you go sim cards for that matter. I'd probably shout that at them though :eek:. But it's true, if they'll only offer services for phones they provide, they should just stick to offering contracts with phones and phones with payg sims. Not able to buy payg sims at all, or offer sim only deals.

Upvote 0
I've found that calling VF at the weekend is a waste of time, the calls appear to be routed, ahem, overseas, but during the week I've had no problems at all with them. I'm on VF and I'm very happy with the service I'm getting.

Remember that the Desire's Flash is an htc version and until 2.2. arrives we won't have full access to all Flash video sites (looking forward to using iPlayer!)

anyhoo, phone companies don't do themselves any favours with the service desk reps by not training them properly. Too many of them only seem to understand a fixed number of problems, anything outside that and they don't know what to do!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones