• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No 2.2 for the Hero

This is my first post , so please be gentle.

I just bought an EVO and like the features however its just to bulky of a phone for me . So I am going to go with the HERO.

I was told by sprint that if I upgrade to the 2.1 with the HERO I may have issues, that it was not designed for this upgrade in mind. Should I stick with the previous release?

Another option is, should I root the phone ( which I have no idea what that is) so I can get the 2.2 version when it comes out or maybe stick with the 2.1 version and with the rooted phone it will work properly.

I'm so confused, I consider myself pretty tech savvy but coming from a BB I'm new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated. I am also concerned about battery life. I understand how to turn off all the unneccessary crap like Wi-Fi, GPS, Messenger, etc when not in use, but will rooting the phone or upgrading to 2.1 or 2.2 help with that issue as well.

So we don't get too off track in this thread, follow up with this post HERE :)

Upvote 0

I just bought an EVO and like the features however its just to bulky of a phone for me . So I am going to go with the HERO.

I was told by sprint that if I upgrade to the 2.1 with the HERO I may have issues, that it was not designed for this upgrade in mind. Should I stick with the previous release?

Another option is, should I root the phone ( which I have no idea what that is) so I can get the 2.2 version when it comes out or maybe stick with the 2.1 version and with the rooted phone it will work properly.

I'm so confused, I consider myself pretty tech savvy but coming from a BB I'm new to all of this. Any help would be appreciated. I am also concerned about battery life. I understand how to turn off all the unneccessary crap like Wi-Fi, GPS, Messenger, etc when not in use, but will rooting the phone or upgrading to 2.1 or 2.2 help with that issue as well.

DUDE... going from an EVO to a Hero would be like going from a Bugatti Veyron (http://www.freewebs.com/velvetweb/Bugatti%20Veyron%202%20-%201024x768.jpg) to a Buick Regal (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/'90-'93_Buick_Regal.jpg)

... Doooooooooooooon't dooooooooooooooo it man!

Upvote 0
DUDE... going from an EVO to a Hero would be like going from a Bugatti Veyron (http://www.freewebs.com/velvetweb/Bugatti%20Veyron%202%20-%201024x768.jpg) to a Buick Regal (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/'90-'93_Buick_Regal.jpg)

... Doooooooooooooon't dooooooooooooooo it man!

If you're going to make that analogy, at least use a picture of the latest Regal (which doesn't look too bad) instead of using one from the 70's to bolster your point. The Evo is awesome and I plan to move to it eventually, but I had/have concerns about the size as well. The Hero is an awesome phone in it's own right, so I can understand how someone might choose to go with it.

Upvote 0
Cant really say I am surprised but the phone is only 8 months old, glad I got the Evo. Looks like you will need to root to see 2.2 on the Hero.

Announcements: Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in near future

Man, you are so predictable. All you did before was complain about how we would probably never see 2.1 on the Hero. Now that the Hero has 2.1, you're talking about it not having 2.2 (which some predicted you would do). Just enjoy your EVO without trying to rain on the Hero's parade. I'll probably move to the EVO eventually, but until then I am still enjoying my Hero. And since I'm rooted already, it'll be nothing for me to flash froyo once a rom is made available.

Upvote 0

snip

You should have realistic expectations with the Hero. The phone lags, frustratingly so if you had a non-smart phone previously. I understand that it is trade-off, but as a pure phone it is pretty bad. The ROM's you can get on a rooted phone are better, but it still lags horribly. Try to multi-task, and the phone basically locks up on you for 20 seconds.

Yes, every poster claims that their ROM is the best ever, the fastest and bug-free (except for.....). There is a teenage-girl fan effect here. People paid good money on the phone, spent time in finding about rooting, and tried several ROM's. It is natural for everyone to focus only on the positive.

I have used several different ROM's in their sequential iterations, including the stock Sprint ones. I have found that every one of them has phone lags, laughable Web browsing, and no practical multi-tasking.

I hope that the next generation of phones will remedy all of the above by having better hardware and using Android 2.2.

Upvote 0
You should have realistic expectations with the Hero. The phone lags, frustratingly so if you had a non-smart phone previously. I understand that it is trade-off, but as a pure phone it is pretty bad. The ROM's you can get on a rooted phone are better, but it still lags horribly. Try to multi-task, and the phone basically locks up on you for 20 seconds.

Yes, every poster claims that their ROM is the best ever, the fastest and bug-free (except for.....). There is a teenage-girl fan effect here. People paid good money on the phone, spent time in finding about rooting, and tried several ROM's. It is natural for everyone to focus only on the positive.

I have used several different ROM's in their sequential iterations, including the stock Sprint ones. I have found that every one of them has phone lags, laughable Web browsing, and no practical multi-tasking.

I hope that the next generation of phones will remedy all of the above by having better hardware and using Android 2.2.

I have had a very good experience with my rooted Hero and damages latest rom. I never have 20 second lockups as you state. My phone is acceptably fast. I really have no desire to do a lot of web browsing on a phone (though the EVO's large screen may change that), so I can't speak to that. I also don't know how much multitasking you do, but I do everything I need to do with no problems. Just because YOU have been frustrated with your Hero doesn't mean everyone has. I've been quite happy with mine, and it has nothing to do with a teenage-girl effect.

Upvote 0
If you're going to make that analogy, at least use a picture of the latest Regal (which doesn't look too bad) instead of using one from the 70's to bolster your point. The Evo is awesome and I plan to move to it eventually, but I had/have concerns about the size as well. The Hero is an awesome phone in it's own right, so I can understand how someone might choose to go with it.

Haha! I hate to break it to you, but that Buick Regal is from the early 1990s and not the 1970s, my good sir. :cool:

Although, I agree with the general direction of what your post is getting at. Sorry, I am an automotive enthusiast, so I had to butt in! :p

Upvote 0
I have had a very good experience with my rooted Hero and damages latest rom. I never have 20 second lockups as you state. My phone is acceptably fast. I really have no desire to do a lot of web browsing on a phone (though the EVO's large screen may change that), so I can't speak to that. I also don't know how much multitasking you do, but I do everything I need to do with no problems. Just because YOU have been frustrated with your Hero doesn't mean everyone has. I've been quite happy with mine, and it has nothing to do with a teenage-girl effect.

You are a perfect example of what I talked about. You do little web browsing or multi-tasking. It is not possible to work on another screen without the first screen halting whatever it was doing. Try making a phone call while having 2 apps running in the background.

As I said, I am not knocking the 3rd party ROM's which are better than stock. But, you are just infatuated. This phone is pretty bad as a phone.

Upvote 0
You are a perfect example of what I talked about. You do little web browsing or multi-tasking. It is not possible to work on another screen without the first screen halting whatever it was doing. Try making a phone call while having 2 apps running in the background.

As I said, I am not knocking the 3rd party ROM's which are better than stock. But, you are just infatuated. This phone is pretty bad as a phone.

I should add: if you don't use this phone for Web-browsing, what do you use it for? You don't need a smart-phone just to make domestic calls and look at occasional email.

Upvote 0
My Buick Regal is running with a turbo and headers running @ 710mhz :p

Overclock it man.. I will say the battery life sucks ass but the lag get's wayyyyy more acceptable.
As for a straight phone.. eh.. sucks. Service is good, I can say that. My biggest issue is when someone calls! it takes so long for the phone to catch up if its doing something else I almost ALWAYS miss a call.

The phone would be perfect if the O.S. was just scaled WAAAYYY down. Folks you have to remember, the damn O.S. is basically a full blown java interpreter engine, and every single function is loaded, and probably way more resources are used than needed.

If you could recompile.. hell even 2.1 into full C++ native (and the apps) for the hero, shoo.... that damn thing would leave YOU in the tracks. lol

Upvote 0

Well I have had Pandora (or another music app) running while working in another app. I think that qualifies as multitasking and it works just fine. Not being able to make a voice call and run an app in the background isn't unique to the Hero. That is a limit of CDMA technology (which both Sprint and Verizon use).

Upvote 0
I should add: if you don't use this phone for Web-browsing, what do you use it for? You don't need a smart-phone just to make domestic calls and look at occasional email.

I occasionally browse the web, but only for short periods of time. However, I DO use apps that pull data from the web (i.e engadget, shopsavvy, Pandora, email, etc.). There are many uses for a smart phone besides "browsing the web".

Upvote 0
Haha! I hate to break it to you, but that Buick Regal is from the early 1990s and not the 1970s, my good sir. :cool:

Although, I agree with the general direction of what your post is getting at. Sorry, I am an automotive enthusiast, so I had to butt in! :p

Okay, you got me. I was 15 or 20 years off. Come to think of it, when I was younger we had a 70's Regal. So I should have known it was a later model. ;)

Upvote 0
I occasionally browse the web, but only for short periods of time. However, I DO use apps that pull data from the web (i.e engadget, shopsavvy, Pandora, email, etc.). There are many uses for a smart phone besides "browsing the web".

Oh boy.

Any phone will work well for you, if you only pull data on an hourly schedule (or whatever).

Even then, I bet you had better phone function on a non/Android, non/Iphone, non/WM.

Why are you even discussing rooted phones?

Upvote 0
Oh boy.

Any phone will work well for you, if you only pull data on an hourly schedule (or whatever).

Even then, I bet you had better phone function on a non/Android, non/Iphone, non/WM.

Why are you even discussing rooted phones?

I'm sure there are other "smart phones" that will work just fine for me (like the EVO), but at the moment I prefer the Hero. Since I don't have any issues with the phone functions of my Hero, I haven't given any thought to if my non smart phone worked better. It's possible, but I certainly don't long to have it back. By the way, I am discussing my Hero, which just happens to be rooted. My wife's Hero isn't rooted and she doesn't have any issue with making calls.

Upvote 0
I dont get it. I had a Hero and now have an Evo and my girlfriend is on my old Hero. The 2.1 update was smooth, no real issues (kinda miffed they ditched a few features but whatev).

While the Hero is nowhere as quick as the Evo its not a crap phone. Expecting it to be as quick is just moronic. Do you expect a year old computer to be as quick as a brand new one? No, things get upgraded. As better chips come out new phones get them, as mem gets cheaper new phones get more. Its the way of things. In 6 months there will be a new phone on the market that blows away the snapdragon (there are already ones that outpace it).

In reality Hero owners should be looking forward to rooting for 2.2, the Hero will do fine. 2.2 is a more efficient version of 2.1. Much of the performance lag is due to additional demand from 2.2 but not a more efficient VM. Its the same growing pains iphoners are seeing with ios4. As for the dialer and such being laggy, well that could be on HTC since they impose their own dialer on it.

Unfortunately phones are still in the grey area. They are basically computers but treated as appliances, and come with limitations like other appliances.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

With all of the problems I've been having since the 2.1 update, I finally contacted Sprint and told them what was going on (dialer lag, BT not connecting, error messages on Internet sites) and they said none of these are documented problems (um, ok) and they best they could do is send me a new (refurbished) phone.

Fine, ok, but my question is this - when do they actually provide a new phone to customers? Why do we pay insurance when we don't get new phones?

Just wondering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones