• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no device specific forums anymore?

For those that didn't know, the old device forums weren't actually forums, they just looked like forums via custom code.
Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

say what????????

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Briefly, all of the device threads existed in the Android Devices forum with a tag for which device it was. If you went to the url for that device, either by bookmark, favorite, or search, you were basically seeing a filtered version the Android Devices forum. Same concept for the Apps & Games forum.

Upvote 0
One of the reasons for the individual device forums was rooting, as that info was device-specific. With rooting really no longer a thing for 99% of people there is no longer a need for that.
I totally disagree. With every new phone I, or my wife, have gotten I have always looked for and bookmarked the respective forums. I did this to be able to quickly find information/issues that others had with my particular device.
A post is a post anywhere it is on AF, so why get rid of the specific "Folder" that it was placed in and throw them all over.
Actually makes no sense and makes it almost impossible to find anything.

Upvote 0
I agree with Pitcarver. I used the specific phone "forums" before I purchased a phone. I checked the "forums" of the phones I was interested in to see what issues they had before buying it. And after I had the phone, I used the "forum" as a first line of help. A Pixel 4 won't have the same problems as a Pixel 6 Pro. Putting them all together doesn't make sense. As far as keeping the antiquated phone's forums open is silly. Why not turn the forums to read only when the phones stop being updated &/or supported? Then, after an agreed amount of time, delete the old forums to save space. Or you could put all the "expired" phone's questions in one Expired Phones forum.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones