• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No love for the droid charge?

Xbound

Jul 10, 2010
Hello few in this forum. I am an existing droid x user, looking forward to upgrading to the Droid Charge hopefully this coming week.

I am noticing a ton of hate for the DC, but really don't get the issue. I understand that there will be better faster dual core phones in the "future," but hey guess what? There always will in this fast paced industry. What people seem to be missing is that this phone exhibits some great specs, and perhaps one of the best screens available on a phone currently. Also, coming from a DX, I love the hard keys and feel that this may be my last chance to get a high end 4g phone with them on board. I see comments like, "piece of shit" and "obselete" - I think these comments are a bit premature.

I am looking for a good in-depth review, because dual core and quadrant scores do nothing for me, as I feel that the experience is what's important.

Just my thoughts.....

Hello few in this forum. I am an existing droid x user, looking forward to upgrading to the Droid Charge hopefully this coming week.

I am noticing a ton of hate for the DC, but really don't get the issue. I understand that there will be better faster dual core phones in the "future," but hey guess what? There always will in this fast paced industry. What people seem to be missing is that this phone exhibits some great specs, and perhaps one of the best screens available on a phone currently. Also, coming from a DX, I love the hard keys and feel that this may be my last chance to get a high end 4g phone with them on board. I see comments like, "piece of shit" and "obselete" - I think these comments are a bit premature.

I am looking for a good in-depth review, because dual core and quadrant scores do nothing for me, as I feel that the experience is what's important.

Just my thoughts.....

The MAIN reason (unless they updated it), is that the processor chip is a YEAR old chipset, not a new one like what is in the ThunderBolt.

That and $300 for it is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I like that it has hdmi out ( hopefully it will really mirror ) but am not thrilled with the price or features. I had a rooted fx that I liked good enough but I had to give it to another company employee ( company phone) now I have a thunderbolt that I hate. It looks like I will have to return it for the charge or be stuck using a old BB Tour until something better comes out. I don't know if I could handle being on the tour again.

Upvote 0
I totally get the processor argument. I was assuming that it would have the newer A9 simply as a requirement for the LTE chipset. Is there any evidence at all to support this or is this simply a rumor? I have searched and have seen only the soft specificatios in the Verizon press release.

Upvote 0
The Hummingbird is actually older than a year, but is about when VZW got the chip in their devices.

LG Rev is a better option than this device based on features. 16gb internal flash built-in, dedicated video chip to help the HDMI, voice over LTE, IPS display is on par with samoled and built in Netflix. Netflix is NOT an app you can simply install on any Android device- does not work that way.

The one issue is Bing, but I chose that over Wiz and Samsung's infamously horrible update history. LG at least shows signs of life in that regard and Bing can be neutered.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones