• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No mail, gmail, computer also won't recognize SD card

I am new here, and my searches of the forum turned up a few similar problems as mine, but not exactly.

I cannot send a gmail, or a regular email. (I don't use either, other than to send a picture to myself.)

I found this out while trying to send an image on my phone to my email account. So, nevermind the email client, I'll merely plug my USB cable in and access the SD card as a drive.

My computer makes the noise, starts charging the phone, but never recognizes that there is a USB drive connected. Yes I've used the "charge only" option in the phone's menu, to no avail either.

The phone will syncronize with this stock cable, and it will charge. The SD card is definately readable, by the phone.

Anyone got any good ideas? These seemingly unrelated issues came up at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might give.

Dave

edit: OK, after turning google talk back to auto start, and subsequently starting the service, my pictures are emailing once more.

The USB drive feature of the phone isn't tho.

Have you tried setting the phone, in the USB connection type area, to "Disk drive" mode? You can set this either before you plug the phone into the computer or you can access it and change it in the Notifications area after the phone is plugged into the computer.

I'm pretty new to the Evo and keep forgetting to do this myself.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure anyone is reading this, but thought I'd update it anyway:

Pics not sending thru mail client: Try logging into google talk, and setting it to automatically log in. Worked for me.

USB mounting the SD card, try setting your default connection choice to Disk Drive (under settings > connect to pc > default connection type.

Both of these changes cured my EVO's problems...... why, I have no reason.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones