• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more $30 Tmobile plan?

caspian915

Jul 1, 2011
Has Tmobile ended the $30/100min/unlimited plan now that they are an "uncarrier"? I can't find it anywhere on their site and a google search for "no more $30 t mobile plan" didn't turn up anything....

I'm in a tricky situation with regards to cell phone plans (working offshore), so I was going to port my current cell phone number to Google Voice and try out different options, starting with this but now I don't know what to start with...

(I use way more texting and data than minutes and I'm only home for 7 days in the beginning of April and won't be back again until early May)

Check at the bottom. :D;)

Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile

2uti8g0.jpg

Found it in another area too.

19m3k3.jpg

Upvote 0
No it hasnt gone away. You wont see it on their website unless you are activating a new account online.

That said.

After 1 month of using this plan I switch to their 30 dollar a month 1500 mins/texts and 30mb of data per month.
The previous month I had used only 30mb but I ran over my 100 minutes pretty easily.

I figure If I ever need more than 30mb of data I can pay 1.49 per day for unlimited data on the days I need it. This gives me a TON of minutes waaay more than I will ever use per month.

Only downside is i cant switch back to the other 30dollar plan unless I open another new account. But so far it seems like the best deal for me.

Upvote 0
No it hasnt gone away. You wont see it on their website unless you are activating a new account online.

That said.

After 1 month of using this plan I switch to their 30 dollar a month 1500 mins/texts and 30mb of data per month.
The previous month I had used only 30mb but I ran over my 100 minutes pretty easily.

I figure If I ever need more than 30mb of data I can pay 1.49 per day for unlimited data on the days I need it. This gives me a TON of minutes waaay more than I will ever use per month.

Only downside is i cant switch back to the other 30dollar plan unless I open another new account. But so far it seems like the best deal for me.

It is in several places on their website. I posted screens above of their location. ;)

Upvote 0
As a Straight Talk customer with 4 gsm phones--one on T-Mobile--I'd say that "officially," it's not the same because there really is not "unlimited" data on ST; however, the T-Mobile side does seem to allow a lot more data usage. People have claimed to get a lot more than 5GB of data in a month with no problem.
Right now, getting on Straight Talk T-Mobile is easy (not so with the AT&T side). If you want to stay with T-Mobile and keep your current plan, put some funds into your account for extra minutes. It's been a while since I tried that plan, but you could buy a bundle of extra minutes that lasted for about a year if you didn't use them right away. It was cheaper than paying the cost of running over the 100 minutes.

Upvote 0
As a Straight Talk customer with 4 gsm phones--one on T-Mobile--I'd say that "officially," it's not the same because there really is not "unlimited" data on ST; however, the T-Mobile side does seem to allow a lot more data usage. People have claimed to get a lot more than 5GB of data in a month with no problem.
Right now, getting on Straight Talk T-Mobile is easy (not so with the AT&T side). If you want to stay with T-Mobile and keep your current plan, put some funds into your account for extra minutes. It's been a while since I tried that plan, but you could buy a bundle of extra minutes that lasted for about a year if you didn't use them right away. It was cheaper than paying the cost of running over the 100 minutes.

What I consider unlimited is if I can use my phone how I want, legally of course, and never get throttled.

ST is "unlimited" if it's not abused. Now what they say is abuse is up to them. But there is plenty of reports of people averaging 10 gigs a month and some users reporting over 20gigs of usage a month with no issues. I would say that most users stay below that 20gigs so those users should never get throttled and never getting throttled is considered "unlimited" in my book.

But it sucks to have those people that try to run their whole damn house off $45 a month cell phone service which in turns ruins it for everyone. Those people are usually the ones that bash ST and say they suck because they kicked them off the network at 2gigs. Well no shit they kicked you off. I personally believe that's how the whole 2 gigs a month rumor started. I personally use 5 gigs a month and never had a single problem.

But if your an average user like me, ST is def the way to go over t mobile. But they are second for sure. I'll prolly never use another carrier as long as both of them are around.

Upvote 0
So the service is pretty good? Talking does not drop, the receivers of calls can hear you okay?
It depends on your signal. 3 of our phones are on the AT&T side and for the most part we get service in our home and 100% everywhere else, so far (10 months). The 2 iphones 4S's seem to lose APN's too frequently. I haven't had a problem with my N4 and didn't with the GNex (although it didn't pick up the signal at home anywhere as well as the N4). The other phone (a Gnex) is on T-Mobile flavor in Orlando, FL and has excellent service, data speed (usually about 12Mbps down), voice.
If you can use the T-Mobile signal and are in a refarmed area, it's a great deal. No worries about hitting the very elusive throttle wall (and it does exist if on AT&T). We've never had any problems relating to our usage but occasionally have had data outages that seem to have been widespread when they have occurred.

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
It depends on your signal. 3 of our phones are on the AT&T side and for the most part we get service in our home and 100% everywhere else, so far (10 months). The 2 iphones 4S's seem to lose APN's too frequently. I haven't had a problem with my N4 and didn't with the GNex (although it didn't pick up the signal at home anywhere as well as the N4). The other phone (a Gnex) is on T-Mobile flavor in Orlando, FL and has excellent service, data speed (usually about 12Mbps down), voice.
If you can use the T-Mobile signal and are in a refarmed area, it's a great deal. No worries about hitting the very elusive throttle wall (and it does exist if on AT&T). We've never had any problems relating to our usage but occasionally have had data outages that seem to have been widespread when they have occurred.

Agreed, the ATT throttle does exist or that's what people say. I was speaking for the T mobile portion. Sorry if I didn't elaborate on that part. :/

But as far as signal, Ritchea answered it as good as I could have. Even when I had my Gnex and was on +21 the building penetration was okay. Not great but I didn't drop calls, just had Edge speeds. +42 has made a world of difference with that though. I constantly get + where I used to get Edge BUT if your inside of a building such as a warehouse and you go into a room within a room, your data might drop back down to edge. I rarely drop calls though. It really all depends on your area but for $45 ($40 if you know where to look) a month, you really can't ask for much more. Least I can't. lol. I already feel like a thief paying $40 a month and getting what I'm getting. :D

Upvote 0
This is why I went with Solavei. It's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB (~$55 after taxes). They also have a referral program which can effectively lower this rate.

How has Solavei been working out for you? For the most part I've heard good things about them. Do they actually have a data cap in that it's listed as 4GB? I always assumed they were unlimited. I like that it's there as an option in case I ever want to try it but until ST does something drastic and changes things up on me, I'm gonna keep supporting them.

I wonder If Solavei will ever start promoting like ST does. ST has forked up the cheddar and went all out in promotion which in turn has almost made them a household name. Especially with their home service. Haven't tried this myself but it sounds like a great option.

But, the more MVNO's the better IMO. A phone bill that can stay under $60 and give you everything you need is like being in a dream. I shutter to think back to the days I was paying $120 a month for my Nextel that wasn't even unlimited and data? Data who?. Ugh

Upvote 0
How has Solavei been working out for you? For the most part I've heard good things about them. Do they actually have a data cap in that it's listed as 4GB? I always assumed they were unlimited. I like that it's there as an option in case I ever want to try it but until ST does something drastic and changes things up on me, I'm gonna keep supporting them.

I wonder If Solavei will ever start promoting like ST does. ST has forked up the cheddar and went all out in promotion which in turn has almost made them a household name. Especially with their home service. Haven't tried this myself but it sounds like a great option.

But, the more MVNO's the better IMO. A phone bill that can stay under $60 and give you everything you need is like being in a dream. I shutter to think back to the days I was paying $120 a month for my Nextel that wasn't even unlimited and data? Data who?. Ugh

My husband and I both switched in January. It's been a very positive experience. We came from Sprint. If you read the Solavei service agreement it's unlimited but they do throttle after 4GB. I really like having a clearly defined data plan instead of the reported mystery throttle level from Straight Talk.

Solavei is doing the whole referral thing instead of traditional advertising - at least that's the claim. I don't think you'll see an advertising blitz from them. The question is how familiar they can become to the general public by word of mouth. I think it's an interesting experiment - and now they pay me back some every month which I can't complain about.

I think competition is great and long overdue. The contract plan prices got way out of hand.

FYI I ported my "home" number to Google Voice, and got an Obi100 VoIP bridge from Amazon. It's been a great home phone with no monthly fee.

Upvote 0
My husband and I both switched in January. It's been a very positive experience. We came from Sprint. If you read the Solavei service agreement it's unlimited but they do throttle after 4GB. I really like having a clearly defined data plan instead of the reported mystery throttle level from Straight Talk.

Solavei is doing the whole referral thing instead of traditional advertising - at least that's the claim. I don't think you'll see an advertising blitz from them. The question is how familiar they can become to the general public by word of mouth. I think it's an interesting experiment - and now they pay me back some every month which I can't complain about.

I think competition is great and long overdue. The contract plan prices got way out of hand.

FYI I ported my "home" number to Google Voice, and got an Obi100 VoIP bridge from Amazon. It's been a great home phone with no monthly fee.

That is great to hear. I've heard good things about them. I heard bad things about ST and after further looking into the claims these people made, it was easy to find out why.

Competition IS great and your seeing a change with contract plans. T mobile has done away with them all together. I can honestly see a day where pre paid becomes the norm. Verizon and their $120 a month cell phone bills still blow my mind. I dont give a shit how great the coverage is. It aint worth 3 of my current phone bills.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was one of those suckers paying Verizon big money. They use to be the only one servicing my area, but times have changed and they no longer can get away with gauging me. Just checked the signal of my n4 and compared it to my Verizon gnex, and they were very similar. - 89 of hspa+15 on t-mobile, - 86 on Verizon lte. So for 3 phones, either 217 or 90 a month for virtually the same signal... Tough decision. :rolleyes::p

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
Yeah, I was one of those suckers paying Verizon big money. They use to be the only one servicing my area, but times have changed and they no longer can get away with gauging me. Just checked the signal of my n4 and compared it to my Verizon gnex, and they were very similar. - 89 of hspa+15 on t-mobile, - 86 on Verizon lte. So for 3 phones, either 217 or 90 a month for virtually the same signal... Tough decision. :rolleyes::p

I remember paying $115 a month for my Nextel back in 2003ish. Thought I was soooo cool. Chirp Chirp

Upvote 0
Question for people on the T-Mobile $30 plan:

Does Google Voice work as intended?

I was on Straight Talk using a Tmobile sim, and Google Voice wouldn't work right because it the service didn't support conditional forwarding. I could use the Android app to send texts back and forth, calls wouldn't get through and calls wouldn't get forwarded to GV voicemail.

So, does it work on the Tmo plan?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones