• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No read/write /System/ permissions after root?

I've just recently rooted my HTC Incredible (following the instructions on this sticky) but I don't seem to have read/write privileges in the /system/ folder. I've installed some root-only apps, & I've given superuser privileges to some apps so I know it worked. I've given superuser privileges to 'Super Manager', 'Android Mate', and 'ROM Toolbox', but none of these program's file managers are able to make changes in the /system/ folder.

The only clue I have is a message 'Super Manager' gives me when I enter /system/. A box appears titled 'Switch System R/W', containing the message:
"If you want to modify the file in system, you have to mount system image first. Please choose access mode:
System Image: R/O"
There are three buttons: 'R/W', 'Read Only', and 'Do Nothing'. All three choices leave me in r/o mode (as indicated in the upper left corner of the screen).

I've been googling this R/W problem for hours. Everyone seems to get around this sort of issue by simply trying a different file manager. But I've tried three which work fine for others, but I'm not getting r/w control.

Is there some BIOS-type setting preventing me from having r/w control? Did something go wrong with my root? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones