• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No wifi tether with Mob Ip??

flakito97

Android Expert
Sep 25, 2011
I've been having sluggish Data connections and I'm aware of metro " Fixing there data,and making 3g better" -___- but no connection at all for sometimes over an hour is how I'd say " No Bueno"!

Anywho apparently this only happens when I'm on Simple IP. So I switched back to Mob ip and data is perfect. But now when I run wifi tethering, the message on my laptop comes up from Metro. Even after changing "true" to "false" in my build.prop. I've come to think it may be something in our build.prop settings? Maybe?

Anywho, any opinions or ways to fix are welcomed. Please stay ON TOPIC! If you have a question of your own just make another thread.

EDIT: 3/30/12 - Well I couldn't find or fix the issue with the Mob ip issue but I did fix my issue with the sluggish data connections on Simple ip. Thanks to nekogarushia for these instructions here.

"Using QPST
Hit Read from phone put your SPC

1- Go to M.IP tab and select profile 0 and edit your user name remove the "aaak." just for the first row. Should be (yournumber@mymetropcs.com)
then change the mobile ip behavior to: simple IP only

2- Go to PPP Config - and choose Um, change the user name (Your Phone#@mymetropcs.com) the password is your SPC

3- Go to PPP Config- and choose AN, change the user name (Your Phone#@mymetropcs.com) the password is your SPC

4 -Write to Phone (wait for phone to restart)
wait a few mins and your 1X/3G should be back!

Thanks for this guide http://androidforums.com/samsung-admire/454073-regarding-2-3-6-update-metropcs-solved.html I fixed my no data issue (Yes this is for 2.3.6 but it fixes the issue of 2.3.4)"

I'm pretty sure mob ip in general will not let you tether and metro may have have found a way to block the simple ip because no matter what I do I can not get steady data for simple ip but it may just be the updates idk though I for some reason when I did have simple ip on and working it gave me that message as well even with the build.prop edit

Upvote 0
Install User Agent Switcher Add-on for Firefox on your laptop and you'll be able to tether your laptop without getting the metro message. Metro detects when your browsing with a windows computer, but you can impersonate any device with the user agent switcher add on.

Here's the Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

Here is a link to download the user agent list: useragentswitcher.xml

Download the list. Once you install the add on, go into user agent switcher and import the list file above. Then choose the agent you want your browser to impersonate from the list. If you switch to android user agent then metro thinks your surfing with your mobile device and won't give the Metro warning message.

Here's a link for more info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones