• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nokia 1.3 pre-installed malware - bluetooth

Hi All,
I recently bought a Nokia 1.3. Just after set up, I installed Avast Mobile Security on it. A scan found 1 threat: a malware issue.
Here's the exact message that came up in the Avast app:
"Malware detected
Bluetooth contains malware that could harm your device. It is installed in the system partition and cannot be uninstalled. Instead, you must deactivate the app from your system settings."

My question is: Is it safe for me to use my phone if I simply never switch on the Bluetooth?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I admit that this sounds like a false positive to me too. Interesting that it doesn't seem to identify the malware it claims to have found (normally these things will give a name to the malware signature they've detected). And I'm a little suspicious of the idea that a user-installed app would have the privileges to scan the system software, so suspect that they are trying some indirect detection here.

If it was a no-name backstreet Chinese phone I'd consider it possible. But Nokia have far too much to lose to do something like this, so the more likely explanation is that Avast have got it wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones