• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help nOOb & prob connecting to 5 GHz WiFi Router

I have my home router set up on the 5 GHz frequency to prevent a conflict with the wireless speakers on my home theater system, which run on 2.4. I have no problem connecting to WiFi at my office, which is 2.4 GHz, but cannot connect at home. I've not been successful in finding out what frequency the Cappy's WiFi runs on, or if it's relevant.

Can anyone confirm the Cappy WiFi will/will not run on 5 GHz?

TIA!

I have my home router set up on the 5 GHz frequency to prevent a conflict with the wireless speakers on my home theater system, which run on 2.4. I have no problem connecting to WiFi at my office, which is 2.4 GHz, but cannot connect at home. I've not been successful in finding out what frequency the Cappy's WiFi runs on, or if it's relevant.

Can anyone confirm the Cappy WiFi will/will not run on 5 GHz?

TIA!

To my knowledge, the Cappy only operates on 2.4ghz networks. If you are getting interference with your wireless speakers, you can always change the Channel that the WiFi operates on. Leave it at 2.4ghz but change it from (probably) Channel 6 to something like Channel 9.

Reactions: tchilder
Upvote 0
Bingo. The 2.4GHz spectrum is way over-crowded. The best solution is to not use wireless speakers or anything else that doesn't need to be wireless.

A wireless home is a neat idea in theory but is a nightmare to manage in practice due to configuration and interference.

If you have stuff that absolutely must be wireless, you'll need to make sure you buy versions of each that operate on different frequencies so that they don't interfere. The Captivate only supports 802.11b/g which are 2.4GHz. 5GHz wifi is 802.11n which the Captivate doesn't support.

Did changing the wifi channel actually help? They're all still in the 2.4xxx GHz range so usually something broad that is 2.4GHz and not wifi will still interfere regardless of what wifi channel you try to use. 2.4GHz cordless phones come to mind. Even some microwaves leak EMF in the 2.4GHz range.

Upvote 0
Bingo. The 2.4GHz spectrum is way over-crowded...<CLIP>
Did changing the wifi channel actually help? They're all still in the 2.4xxx GHz range so usually something broad that is 2.4GHz and not wifi will still interfere regardless of what wifi channel you try to use...<CLIP>

I agree with you on the fact that 2.4GHz is way overcrowded. I've previously tried changing the channel on my router but if it's not one thing, it's another, between the wireless home theater and my neighbors' wireless routers (I purposely bought a 5GHz cordless phone to prevent this problem), I had zero success in maintaining a wireless connection on my laptop...until I changed my router to the 5GHz frequency.

So I have opted to not use WiFi at home on the Cappy <shrug>, which is not a big deal because when I'm surfing at home I'm doing it on my laptop anyway. If the power is out and I'm looking to my phone to surf, well WiFi wouldn't help me anyway (no power, no WiFi). I'd thought the Cappy had 802.11n capabilities (I obviously confused this with another phone due to all the research I conducted in advance of the purchase).

Regardless, I'm still tickled pink with it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones