• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Noobiest rooter ever. Please help

2XdiorD

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
I have the root done on my phone after hours of time on Google and youtube. I have ginger bread 2.3.4 when I rooted it. All I've managed to do so far is get the wireless tether: barnacle. I want to get rims and what not. But that's where I'm completely lost. I need help withfinding as well as flashing. If I could get some help I'd really appreciate it.

Go to XDA forums. Here's a link to the XDA Forums Wiki that points you to all the info you need to put new ROMs onto your phone:

Motorola Droid X2 - XDA-Developers

The first step you've done: rooting. Now, you need to install the recovery apk that allows you to boot into a recovery mode that allows you to flash new ROMS onto your phone. What you want is the Droid X2 Bootstrap Recovery apk which you can get here -> Droid X2 System Recovery + Instruction - xda-developers

Just scroll down to the section in the first post called Droid X2 Recovery APK download:

Install the app, plug your phone into a wall outlet (not a USB port), run the app and click on Install Recovery. Once that is done, click on "Recovery" and wait for it to reboot. When you see the green-lettered menu, you are in the recovery application where you can flash new roms.

Just follow the directions on the XDA Wiki links on how to install ROMs. The Eclipse ROM link has excellent instructions: [ROM][GB]Eclipse v1.2 (11/01/11) - xda-developers

Reactions: 2XdiorD
Upvote 0
Thank you so much, this honestly helped me out more than anything. Lol

Will Eclipse run on my droid? i have stock gingerbread 2.3.4 - which would be my SPF right?

Yes. Eclipse assumes you have the stock 2.3.4 SBF on it. In fact, your best bet is to always SBF back to 2.3.4 before installing a new version of Eclipse just to be safe.

Remember, always do a wipe data/factory reset/clear data/clear cache, especially before doing an SBF. I've forgotten to do that and after sbfing, it goes into an endless boot loop until I get it back into recovery and then wipe it.

Upvote 0
How do I put the ROM on my phone? I am really new lol does this involve my computer?

You can download it to your PC and then use the ADB command-line utility that comes with the Android SDK to push it. Just launch a DOS command-line window and navigate to the PLATFORM-TOOLS directory in the android SDK root directory. I installed the SDK in d:\android-dsk-windows, so I would go to the d:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.

From there, you push it via ADB after hooking up your phone to your PC's USB port. Assuming the rom is in a file called ROM.ZIP and I've copied it to the D: drive root directory AND my sd card is mounted at /sdcard in my droid, this is what I would type

adb push d:\ROM.ZIP /sdcard/

That will push the ROM.ZIP file onto my sdcard on my droid. After that, reboot into recovery and flash it from there.

To be honest, if you're really new at this, read through all the links posted in this sticky:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/407972-newbie-start-point.html

Read it and make sure you read EVERYTHING and understand EVERYTHING. This helps you understand how to get your phone back to stock if you mess something up.

After that, read the links in my earlier posts on ROMs. If you mess up, go back to the Newbie Starting Point post to get your phone back to stock and try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones