• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nook Wi-Fi Now Available for $150; 3G Now $200; Firmware v1.4 Now Available

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Barnes & Noble is announcing the launch of their Wi-Fi-enabled Nook offering that will give consumers a more cost efficient eReader compared to eReaders that are enabled with 3G Radios. You can grab it today for $150, but if 3G is important to you, then you’ll be pleased to know that its price has been [...]

More...

Can someone tell me the difference between the 3G and the WiFi versions? My wife just bought the WiFi version for $200 and has no idea the differences. I assume this means that you can download books anywhere there's a 3G signal (who's service?) whereas the WiFi version only allows you to download when an open WiFi signal is within range, right? If that's the case it would seem that the $50 is kind of a waste as long as you know what books you want before you travel which is generally the case anyway.

Upvote 0
You pretty much have it. I think you might be able to surf mobile websites on 3G as well.

Not sure what your wife bought though. The wifi only version is $149 and the 3g/wifi version is $199.

You can? Do you have to pay for service or anything? She got the $199 version so I was just curious what the difference was for $50. She told me 'Hey, the Nook dropped to $200' and I said 'Good deal. Better get one.' and that was that. I'm just wondering now if she would have been better off saving the $50 if she only reads books here and there. I mean, it's not hard to download the books you want then be w/o internet and she has her Droid for web browsing anyway. Just trying to see why she NEEDS the $199 one when it seems like the $150 work just fine. That's what I would get anyway.

Upvote 0
Not sure about the mobile websites on 3g. Haven't tried it, but I thought I saw someone saying that.

Personally, I think there's wifi in so many places (nook gets free wifi at all AT&T hotspots), it'd be a waste of $50 to get the 3G one.

But, already bought mine a couple weeks ago, so that's what I got.

Upvote 0
Personally I like having the 3g. It's great if you travel a lot so you can download books anywhere, any time. I haven't had any problems with my Nook on any of the versions, but personally I'd never use it for web surfing. The cell phone is so much better at that sort of thing.

I'm considering getting the wifi only for my son.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones