1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Not A Fan of the Otterbox...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BimmerM3, Feb 7, 2011.

1. BimmerM3

BimmerM3 Member

I've only had my Otterbox Commuter case for my Droid X for two days and its driving me insane. What I mean by that is the fact that it is a dust magnet. It seems like i can clean it, leave it in my pocket for 10 minutes and it comes out looking like its been under a couch for 10 weeks. I had an Otterbox for my last phone and loved it, but for some reason this one drives me crazy. Im considering returning it and going for a simple hardcase. Anyone else have problems with this case or a possible solution to the dust problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bigtex19

bigtex19 Android Enthusiast

i feel the same way man. i like the sleekness of it and the look but the dust cover for the hdmi/mini usb and the way it attracts every piece of link in the tri state area drive me nuts as well. im still looking for a solution or another case

3. BimmerM3

BimmerM3 Member

I was just in the verizon store tonight and they all recommended it, despite the problem. They dont have any influence in my decision though, for now it looks like ill be keeping it but its not ideal.

4. bigtex19

im possibly going to get a trident kraken but i want to see what the cyclops looks like first when it comes out

5. jbhumph

jbhumph Android Enthusiast

I have the Defender and wasn't sure about it since I typically don't use holsters but love mine....but I can see what you're saying about dust. I typically take mine apart once a month and give it a good clean

6. bigtex19

i thinks its just the catch 22 of using a silicone skin, you get the protection but you also get the dust. not to mention i think the nontight fit around the screen lets a lot of dust and stuff in too

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have a Commuter case. When I first read the original post I thought, "Not sure what he's talking about....mine's not a dust magnet." I then looked at it closer and saw the dust. Never noticed before....let's hope I don't obsess over it now. Thanks for pointing it out for me! ;)

8. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Try rubbing it with a clothes drier lint cloth and see if the decrease in static attraction helps. Just a thought here. Downside will be that it is now a bit slippery.
    Or is it that the case is rubbery and stuff sticks to it because of that?

9. taknactn

taknactn Member

seidio makes good cases with holsters. I got my otterbox when i got my DX and I understand what your talking about. I need it though because I'm a field technician crawling in attics and under house and stuff so it makes sense for me. If I was a desk jocky I guess I would go with a leather holster and no case or just a carbon fiber case.

10. poof101

poof101 Newbie

I had the Defender case and in my honest opinion the case sucked......just received the Seido Rugged case. Only had it for a couple hours and its ALOT better than Otterbox Defender..........anybody want to buy my otterbox, pm me

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews