• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Note 3 Newbie

just (well 2 weeks ago) got my Note 3 & i have to say, even though i had the S3, it's still taking me a while to get accustomed to the Note 3, hell i haven't even scratched the surface of all it can do. i love the overall feel & look of it, a lot different from my S3 that alway seemed to be slippin' out of my hands b/c of the slippery case. i was just curious as to what are some of the best apps (of course opinions will vary) to you w/ this phone, ie SMS, Task Manager, Browswer etc. thanks in advance.

Reactions: dustwun77
For your task manager just press and hold the home button. Don't get sucked into installing all kinds of apps you don't need. I mean, if you're a super power web user, fine maybe pick up Dolphin or something but don't bog your device down with tons of apps you don't need.

I installed Swiftkey because I like a good keyboard and Zedge for ringtones and wallpapers but not much else really. Everything else comes with it for the most part.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
just (well 2 weeks ago) got my Note 3 & i have to say, even though i had the S3, it's still taking me a while to get accustomed to the Note 3, hell i haven't even scratched the surface of all it can do. i love the overall feel & look of it, a lot different from my S3 that alway seemed to be slippin' out of my hands b/c of the slippery case. i was just curious as to what are some of the best apps (of course opinions will vary) to you w/ this phone, ie SMS, Task Manager, Browswer etc. thanks in advance.

I'll also echo the sentiment that you don't need to download apps just because you can. I hate using up space for apps I rarely if ever use. As for a few of my necessities:

1. Documents to Go (excellent Office app)
2. GMAIL and Outlook email
3. Evernote
4. Social Media if you use it
5. One Note (from my Windows Phone days)
6. Keeper (password app)
7. Google Voice
8. Kindle app
9. Score (sports)
10. Cloud Print
11. Galaxy Gear Manager

These are the apps I use on a regular basis. I do have some others but not to many more because the apps that come on the phone provide most of my other needs.

Do yourself a favor though. If you haven't done it, download the PDF manual and read thru it. Learn everyting the Note can do, especially the S Pen and you will definitely get your money's worth out of it.

Upvote 0
I use Chrome, because it keeps my bookmarks across all my devices.
Netflix
Documents to Go
Galaxy S4 Universal Remote - really handy when you can't find the TV remote
Rocket Player for music
Nova Launcher

Most of those are just my preferences. +1 to looking through the PDF, there is a lot of info in there. YouTube also has a lot of videos to actually show you tips and tricks.

Upvote 0
Dolphin and Flash for Flash of course. The rest depends on what you use the phone for. How many people need (or want) wireshark? I have 180 apps in my app drwer at the moment. There's some stuff I have to get rid of (downloaded 3 GPS apps today to see if there's relly anything better than Maps and Mapquest) but I still have an almost empty internal and external storage.

Which apps to download is like which flavor of ice cream to buy. I have Zedge and Rinftone Maker, but I don't do a lot of media work. I have Zinio for the times I don't want to read last year's Golf Digest in the doctor's office. Most of the rest of what's staying is technical stuff - SD card diagnostic programs, Antutu, wifi diagnostics, tower diagnostics - stuff the average user wouldn't be the least bit interested in. But at nearly 72, I'm not interested in the "music" most people listen to these days.

If it's free, or you can afford it, and it interests you, put it it on your phone. Storage keeps getting cheaper. If someone thinks you're weird for having some app on your phone, who cares? But unless you keep a lot of movies for a long time, I don't think you're going tohave to worry about running out of space. (And the price of a 64GB Extreme+ should be dropping sharply pretty soon.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones