• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 3 phone reception in rural areas.

Jon Davis

Jun 12, 2012
Our farm is about 8 miles from the nearest Verizon tower.
I was reluctant to buy the GN3 because of a bad experience with the Galaxy Nexus 2 years ago.
However I took the leap this afternoon.
Happily reception is a good solid 2 bars.
Better than my Droid Razr.
Thought someone out there might be on the fence worried about the phone reception in marginal areas.
It is good.

Our farm is about 8 miles from the nearest Verizon tower.
I was reluctant to buy the GN3 because of a bad experience with the Galaxy Nexus 2 years ago.
However I took the leap this afternoon.
Happily reception is a good solid 2 bars.
Better than my Droid Razr.
Thought someone out there might be on the fence worried about the phone reception in marginal areas.
It is good.

Thank for for this post. I, like you, have SUFFERED with horrible reception with my Nexus for the last two years. And I said I would never own another Samsung product because of it. But the size of the Note 3 sold me and I ordered one. I haven't received it yet, but your post really gives me hope.

Upvote 0
Well, I was fully satisfied after playing with it in a VZW corporate store. I can finally go around now boasting that I have a big one.

I too live in a rural mountain/valley area and for signal I have 3-4 bars (-89dBm avg) on the Note 3. My Galaxy S3 would only bounce back and forth between 2-3 bars (-97 dBm avg) in the same location.

As far as data, it has always been weak from the tower. VZW upgraded this tower to 4G last year which was surprising to see, being that I thought we would be the last to upgrade here rurally. I really have to praise Verizon for their service and coverage. They are only a few dollars more on my older unlimited plan than the other schemes pushed by the more inferior providers. On my S3, I've hovered between 1X and 3G. My Note 3 is now pushing more consistent 3G and some 4G in and out. I'm very impressed!!!

I do have the Verizon Network Extender which was a must have during initial HTC DInc release until they finally pushed out an upgrade tweak. This has been soooo rewarding to have and between it and Wi-Fi, I don't have to really care about my fringe location at all. The yard test did help me concur with the times that I'll be in other poor reception areas that this Note 3 will do me right. It sure is fast and smooth!

Upvote 0
@darkcyber "I got very poor reception on my Galaxy Nexus"

I feel for you because I almost bit on the Nexus after it had been out a while until I did my homework to find out everyone was having reception issues with it. I waited it out because I heard the Galaxy S3 was coming up for pre-order and it would be a safe bet because of the S2 predecessor being good.

She said, "Is that a Note 3 in your pocket or are you just excited to see me?"

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones