• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Note 7 screen is EASILY scratched - tempered glass screen protector ??

lanenubia

Jun 2, 2010
After an exhaustive test, it appears that Gorilla Glass 5 is better than GG4 in drops or bends, but that is because it is softer than GG4. Since it is softer it is more vulnerable to scratching than GG4.

I want a good tempered glass screen protector to protect from scratching. Does any one know of a good one that fits well with a case AND wraps around the rounded edges. I can't find any info on the Samsung Note 7 screen protector, so I don't know if its glass or just a plastic film.

Here is the scratch test performed showing the GG5 is 3 levels softer than GG4:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/571pu66vEBc

It is disappointing how easily it scratches in that test. I ordered a curved glass protector, but the company has dragged their feet shipping it - ordered it sunday, they didn't even ship until Wednesday. I paid $9 extra to get it by yesterday, and it still doesn't even show on the DHL site with the tracking number they gave me. I have an extra N4 tempered protector, I may put that on if it fits close enough. I realize it won't fit right, but hopefully good enough until the one I ordered comes in. The N4 tempered covers had to be made a mm or 2 smaller on each side for the slight curve on the edges of that screen, so I bet there is a decent chance it will fit, at least temporarily. Or I may just take my chances on going naked on the display for a few days. Probably not if I can help it.

Upvote 0
I wonder how many people have peeled off the screen protector that ships with the phone only to apply another screen protector to the phone. I personally like the one that shipped with the phone as it feels like a screen protector that you'd buy to put on the screen. I'm not sure why more manufacturers don't ship out their devices with a screen protector already affixed to the phone, other than the fact that they can charge more money.

Upvote 0
I ordered one from Amazon (not the sparin), I paid $11.99 for the curved tempered glass protector but since I wanted it by the time the phone came I paid $8 extra for expedited shipping. That was last sunday. They didn't even ship until Wednesday. It is coming via DHL and they tried to deliver yesterday - after 6 PM to my business, which is in a mall, which is closed by 6 PM on Saturday. So it is out for delivery today, again to my business in the mall, whick closed at 5pm, and DHL is going to try to deliver by 8 pm. In other words, I won't get the protector until sometime tomorrow. Glad I paid for expedited shipping! Rant over....

So I, like most of you, did not removed the factory plastic protector the phone came with. The only real reason I get tempered is to protect from breaks, plastic would work fine for scratches. But I have used tempered for several years now and couldn't go back to plastic. I will post a review of the protector I ordered after it gets here.

Upvote 0

I would LOVE to see Corning respond by just making a video of their own that shows, step by step, their response to the Jerry Rig test, and how he got it wrong, and how their GG5 actually does demonstrate the level of hardness and scratch resistance they told you it does have. I'd love to see them showing how Jerry Rig's marks on the glass can be wiped off, if they use the proper substance. Etch them off with Muratic acid, perhaps?

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
After much research, I have decided to order a flat tempered screen protector. It will obviously not cover the edges, in fact it sits back a mm or so from each edge. The curved "full fit" tempered protectors available simply are not of adequate quality. The main problem is the curves, and how the display actually lifts a tiny bit at the start of the curve. This is why none of the manufacturers are putting the adhesive on the entire back of the full fit curved tempered protectors - it is simply the shape and contour of the display. So I will take my lumps for now and use a tempered protector that covers only the flat part. I will post a review once I get the protector.

Upvote 0
Verizon rep told me that due to the edge curves tempered glass protectors are not available. Not sure if true because I heard another customer asked for tempered glass and the rep went in back to get it. I was walking out and didn't wait to see if came back without it.
Odds are good that he came back with it. I was just in the store asking about accessories and they showed me the tempered glass for the Note 7. She said that it wasn't a perfect fit because of the curve edges, but it worked well for the screen overall.

Upvote 0
Some anecdotal information.. experienced two accidental drops with the Note 7 (which is in a Spigen Slim Armor case). The first is when I was carrying my son off the sleep and the phone, which was in my pocket, slipped out and fell as I went to put him in his bed. Roughly a 3-4ft drop on a carpeted floor - no scratches or issues whatsoever.

The second was last night as I was trying to watch some Netflix on my Note 7 with the phone on my nightstand (the Spigen Slim Armor case has a kickstand), but apparently I didn't place it properly, so the phone went tumbling to the carpeted floor. The difference here is that the nightstand is very close to my bed, which has a solid wood frame. Now, I didn't have the lights on, but I'm pretty sure the phone hit the side of the bed - no idea if it was case first or screen first. I say all this because upon inspection (with the lights on, lol) there were no scratches at all on the screen and there was no damage to my case.

So that's either dumb luck or the Note 7 GG5 isn't as bad as it's being made out to be.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After an exhaustive test, it appears that Gorilla Glass 5 is better than GG4 in drops or bends, but that is because it is softer than GG4. Since it is softer it is more vulnerable to scratching than GG4.

I want a good tempered glass screen protector to protect from scratching. Does any one know of a good one that fits well with a case AND wraps around the rounded edges. I can't find any info on the Samsung Note 7 screen protector, so I don't know if its glass or just a plastic film.

Here is the scratch test performed showing the GG5 is 3 levels softer than GG4:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/571pu66vEBc

This ridiculous video means nothing, it is merely poorly performed entertainment done with little or no controls regarding proper destruction test procedures.
Further, by my side I have a 3 year old HTC One M7 it uses GG2, the screen has never been protected and it is still in pristine condition! I think people should stop demanding miracles, be grateful, appreciate what we already have and generally be more careful with what are truly amazing devices.

Upvote 0
My Verizon Curved Tempered Glass Display Protector arrived today. It is clearly designed to work well with a case as it does cover most of the edge leaving just enough room for a case to cover the rest. (I am using an inexpensive Ringke Flex S case). While it came with a lint cloth to clean the phone, I opted to use my eyeglass cleaner. Pristine phone and easy application. No problems with using the Spen or tapping/swiping anywhere. One happy camper here. It may be overkill to put a screen protector on this phone but I definitely feel better since it rattles around in my purse.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones