• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Notes app with TXT support and filesystem folders

Hi,

I'm looking for a notes application with following features:

• Notes stored as normal TXT files
  • Store notes in folders
  • Browse notes and folders within the app
  • Folder in app = folder on file system
Currently on my phone (HTC Desire HD running 2.3.5) I use eXoScribe for this purpose. However eXoScribe is not supported on my new Google Nexus 7 (running 4.1.1) for some reason. Maybe because it's not supported on tablet or maybe because it's not supported on 4.x.

Does anyone know a similar app which supports the Nexus 7 (i.e. supports tablets running 4.x)?

Try ES File Explorer. It is basically a file explorer with the ability to read and write txtnotes.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion!

I tried this app last night and it does some of what I want it to do, however my main problem with the app is it doesn't create files with a ".txt" extension by default. So after creating them you have to either add the ".txt" extension yourself which is a bit tedious when creating a quick note, or select to open as text which always prompts you for the application.

As you alluded to, it seems this was designed more as a file manager application than a notes application. Anything else?

Upvote 0
Please check out an app called Note Everything...it can be found in the play store. Sounds pretty close to what you're looking for. :)

Hi thanks, but I don't think this app allows you to save and read TXT files, which is what I was looking for.

It looks like the pro version allows you to back up the TXT files to the user storage (e.g. sdcard). But this backup feature is not sufficient for me, I need it to be able to read and write the TXT files within the user storage so that I can use some other app to sync them. It would be nice if I could see where it is internally syncing them, but this is hidden away somewhere on the system.

By the way, I emailed the developer of eXoScribe, he said they are planning to release a compatible version soon for 4.x, but please continue to send me suggestions til then!

Upvote 0
Can I ask why does it need to be specifically txt files? This is simply because using the default syncing ability of several apps like OneNote, Evernote, Springpad or Catch are much easier to use and automatically syncs across devices and platforms.

Mostly because my current collection of (multiple thousands of) notes built up over the last 15 years or so are in TXT format. If such an application didn't work directly with TXT, it would have to at least be able to import TXT and export to some format which would be transferrable (for cloud backup and migration) at a later date. Also, I would want to sync with not only Android devices but also desktop. I also generally find that many of these "cloud note" type platforms (such as Catch, which I have tried before purely for its audio note capability) don't support folders in the hierarchical way I have organised my notes.

Upvote 0
^Those are some truly compelling advantages for using a classic standardized file format that is readable on every OS in the world, and for using a standardized sorting system (filesystem tree). There are certainly more. You and I are in the minority though, most people want an integrated, pretty package rather than stringing together small standard components that have been around since the beginning of time.

I just stumbled into this thread:
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/625748-run-windows-95-your-android.html
No idea how well it works and I imagine the interface is probably too clunky, but if not then you might get somewhere using that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones